Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my radiator yesterday on my 14jku.. had the OAT coolant ready to go- but when I drained it, it was orange (HOAT). Surprised me since the change over was 2014 for OAT. Had to buy HOAT for now.. getting system flushed in a week or so, so I will have them use OAT so it matches my model year.

But what delayed me from finishing the project is losing the two 8mm fan shroud screws.. I ended up finding one tucked away- but cant find the other. I’ve been to 4 stores and haven’t found one.. any idea on the part number and thread size? Ultimately I’d like to replace with a factory screw. so this would just be temporary. Was gonna hit a junkyard but again I’d like to know the part number so I can see what other vehicles would have the screw. And since the radiator is plastic, I don’t want to tap the Erin threads in it

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Most any Hardware store can match the bolt [ not the big box store's that sell prepackaged bolts] but a a real hardware store like "Ace" or the even the "Help' aisle at the auto parts store or God forbid the the dealer parts counter.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most any Hardware store can match the bolt [ not the big box store's that sell prepackaged bolts] but a a real hardware store like "Ace" or the even the "Help' aisle at the auto parts store or God forbid the the dealer parts counter.

Headed to True Value at 9. But tractor supply, Lowe’s (has same as tractor), and advanced auto didn’t have crap. Would like exact replacement- but for now I will have to just get something that will thread in the same (tapping the plastic)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Changed my radiator yesterday on my 14jku.. had the OAT coolant ready to go- but when I drained it, it was orange (HOAT). Surprised me since the change over was 2014 for OAT. Had to buy HOAT for now.. getting system flushed in a week or so, so I will have them use OAT so it matches my model year.
Our '14 is OAT, I'd double and triple check before installing HOAT. Pour some in a glass to see what color it is. :thumb:

BTW what radiator did you go with?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Don’t get hung up on color of anti-freeze. FCA/Jeep actually had two colors of OAT (and HOAT) depending on if it was the factory (bulk?) install or service. In my ‘15 it will look orange looking down into radiator with pressure cap off, red from top down into overflow/reservoir, then faint reddish, almost purple from the side of reservoir. Go with OAT. I’ll see if I can find the STAR bulletin from 2012 I’d previously posted to another thread in the WF that details this - and the goo that results to clog the system from mixing OAT with HOAT. Why FCA decided to be so loopy with the dyes/colorants for these very necessary fluids and create such confusion that can lead to concern - and significant damage is indeed a mystery

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don’t get hung up on color of anti-freeze. FCA/Jeep actually had two colors of OAT (and HOAT) depending on if it was the factory (bulk?) install or service. In my ‘15 it will look orange looking down into radiator with pressure cap off, red from top down into overflow/reservoir, then faint reddish, almost purple from the side of reservoir. Go with OAT. I’ll see if I can find the STAR bulletin from 2012 I’d previously posted to another thread in the WF that details this - and the goo that results to clog the system from mixing OAT with HOAT. Why FCA decided to be so loopy with the dyes/colorants for these very necessary fluids and create such confusion that can lead to concern - and significant damage is indeed a mystery

Oat and HOAT don’t mix well.. my 14 is not purple in the least.. it’s orange.. what drained is in the left and mopar OAT is in the right. For now, I added HOAT (xerex) and will have the mechanic flush well and put in OAT.. I don’t know why I still had HOAT one model year after the change over

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeez.. called corporate about the coolant color and they tried to help- routed me back to the dealer.. nobody can seem to answer why there was orange coolant in the Jeep.. I don’t want anything bad to happen with changing to oat purple - could there be any seals or gaskets negatively impacted by this? I will be doing a flush and will go to purple so they can see it’s what it is supposed to be..if something should happen. Hopefully nothing negative happens as I have plans to keep it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Jeez.. called corporate about the coolant color and they tried to help- routed me back to the dealer.. nobody can seem to answer why there was orange coolant in the Jeep.. I don’t want anything bad to happen with changing to oat purple - could there be any seals or gaskets negatively impacted by this? I will be doing a flush and will go to purple so they can see it’s what it is supposed to be..if something should happen. Hopefully nothing negative happens as I have plans to keep it for a long time.
Factory fill OAT in my 18 is orange.
OAT from the jug is purple. added a few quarts allready with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts

But what delayed me from finishing the project is losing the two 8mm fan shroud screws.. I ended up finding one tucked away- but cant find the other. I’ve been to 4 stores and haven’t found one.. any idea on the part number and thread size? Ultimately I’d like to replace with a factory screw. so this would just be temporary. Was gonna hit a junkyard but again I’d like to know the part number so I can see what other vehicles would have the screw. And since the radiator is plastic, I don’t want to tap the Erin threads in it

Thanks
100% Take one good one out and go to ACE. If it’s got a little flange, you might have to sub regular bolt and washer. If you had calipers and thread oitch gauge you’d know lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
100% Take one good one out and go to ACE. If it’s got a little flange, you might have to sub regular bolt and washer. If you had calipers and thread oitch gauge you’d know lol

Got one. Really didn’t matter as it was carving it’s own threads. Will head to a junkyard to grab one later so I have matching acrews

1 - 14 of 14 Posts