Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 JKU hit 80,000 miles and I am driving from Louisiana to Colorado this summer so I decided it was time to change the spark plugs. I hate the engineers for making it so difficult to change them. The passenger site plugs are a bit of a pain to change because there is a plastic shield by the battery which makes it very hard to get a sparkplug socket and long extension down into the spark plug tubes.
Then there is the drivers side. You have to remove the intake manifold to be able to get to the coil packs. In all, it took me just over 2 hours. My wife's 4 cly. Toyota takes me 15 minutes to change the plugs.
I am glad I went to the trouble though because the plugs were a bit worn.

·
Registered
617 Posts
photo of plugs at 80k miles?
not looking forward to doing this job... 306 V8 in my mustang takes about 15 min's, and that's with long tube headers...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Jeep calls that JSP.

Job Security Planning is what it is all about. Wait until one of your oil pressure sensors's goes, and it will. Then when you consider their FRFE Program, (Flash Required for Everything) Jeep is reeling in the dough.

I heard that Jeep will require a flash when changing spark plugs on next years model.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm at 81K on mine now - and was going to wait til 100K to change them. This is the one that I was going to have the stealership do, but, did you have any guides to follow or assist?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
photo of plugs at 80k miles?
not looking forward to doing this job... 306 V8 in my mustang takes about 15 min's, and that's with long tube headers...
I still have the old plugs so I will post a picture tonight. They were worn, but not horribly. My Jeep was still running smooth with the original plugs.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at 81K on mine now - and was going to wait til 100K to change them. This is the one that I was going to have the stealership do, but, did you have any guides to follow or assist?
I would check with the dealership to see what their prices are. The plugs are expensive at $8.40 each on Amazon. The dealer will have a mark-up on those. It took me a little over 2 hours to do the work. So, you would probably be looking at paying the dealership $400 to do this work at a minimum. It really is not a hard job, I just hate that I had to take so much off of the motor to get to the plugs.

I did find this web site to give me some guidance before I did the work.
https://dsjeeps.com/2014/10/18/3-6l-pentastar-spark-plug-step-by-step-guide-with-pics/

·
Registered
456 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 49k miles and while they did not look worn, they were contaminated. I had one actually go bad on me.

My rig has a blower so I am probably a worse case scenario but there was a ton of crankcase blow by inside my manifolds from the PCV system. I did not have to pull the blower or any manifolds to access the plugs but I removed it a week or so later.

It was not worth the time but I did index my plugs too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The spark plug change procedure leaves a lot to be desired on another FCA product I own, an '03 Dodge Ram Hemi. There are 16 plugs (no, not a typo). For the bottom ones on the driver's side in the back, I have to remove the left front tire and the wheel well. What a PITA! The Jeep looks like it might be worse! UGH. Glad you only have to do this once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 49k miles and while they did not look worn, they were contaminated. I had one actually go bad on me.

My rig has a blower so I am probably a worse case scenario but there was a ton of crankcase blow by inside my manifolds from the PCV system. I did not have to pull the blower or any manifolds to access the plugs but I removed it a week or so later.

It was not worth the time but I did index my plugs too.
Not to hi-jack, but that blow by from the PCV system in your manifolds... do you think a catch can would have helped? Don't happen to have a pic of them removed and the crap inside do ya?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a picture of a couple of the spark plugs. The all pretty much look like these. The electrode was a little work as was the ground. You can see that the ground is noticeably thinner. There was no oil on the ceramic so they look like the engine has been running pretty clean.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to hi-jack, but that blow by from the PCV system in your manifolds... do you think a catch can would have helped? Don't happen to have a pic of them removed and the crap inside do ya?
I did briefly look inside of the intake manifold when I had it off and it really was pretty clean. I did not take a picture inside of the manifold.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Plenum gaskets as well?
I would, I tend to be overkill at times. The thought of pulling it apart a second time because a coil pack let go, or a gasket with close to 100K miles on it failed, doesn't sit well with me. Some say it might be a waste of money, I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bringing this back to life.

Would it be a good idea to replace the coil packs while all of this is apart?

Jeep is a 12 with 96k miles.
You could change the coils since you have everything apart. My coils work perfectly fine so I did not bother. The coil packs cost $30 each x 6 so the cost would be $180. While it is a pain in the rear to take everything apart, it really is not that hard, more time consuming. If my coil packs ever do go out, I will change them at that time. And you only have to disassemble everything if you are accessing the coils / plugs on the drivers side. Nothing needs to be done to access the passenger side. My last truck was a Toyota that was 10 years old with 200k miles and it never had a coil pack go out. My wife's vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Highlander with 140,000 miles and it has never had a coil pack go out. I do not like replacing still functioning parts.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
You could change the coils since you have everything apart. My coils work perfectly fine so I did not bother. The coil packs cost $30 each x 6 so the cost would be $180. While it is a pain in the rear to take everything apart, it really is not that hard, more time consuming. If my coil packs ever do go out, I will change them at that time. My last truck was a Toyota that was 10 years old with 200k miles and it never had a coil pack go out. My wife's vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Highlander with 140,000 miles and it has never had a coil pack go out. I do not like replacing still functioning parts.

That sounds reasonable but here is my thought process on this.

Jeep dealer wants $360 just to do the plugs and plenum gaskets. I can buy, plugs, gaskets and coil packs from Rock Auto for $160 and have a new ignition system to go the next 100k.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sounds reasonable but here is my thought process on this.

Jeep dealer wants $360 just to do the plugs and plenum gaskets. I can buy, plugs, gaskets and coil packs from Rock Auto for $160 and have a new ignition system to go the next 100k.
If you can afford it, it sure could not hurt to just change out those hard to get to parts while you have everything apart.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts