Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bringing this back to life.

Would it be a good idea to replace the coil packs while all of this is apart?

Jeep is a 12 with 96k miles.
Plenum gaskets as well?
Skip the coil packs unless you find a dead one. Unless you find a way to upgrade to the 2017 3 wire coil packs with higher output, you gain nothing by replacing them.

If you are careful, you can skip the gaskets too but if you were paying me to fix your rig, I would definitely recommend them. Me? I put a blower on my jeep and skipped these gaskets. No issues. I am an ex master tech and have had many a manifold off - plus I was very careful in removing the gaskets, cleaning them and then reinstalling them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Skip the coil packs unless you find a dead one. Unless you find a way to upgrade to the 2017 3 wire coil packs with higher output, you gain nothing by replacing them.

If you are careful, you can skip the gaskets too but if you were paying me to fix your rig, I would definitely recommend them. Me? I put a blower on my jeep and skipped these gaskets. No issues. I am an ex master tech and have had many a manifold off - plus I was very careful in removing the gaskets, cleaning them and then reinstalling them.
So - I was curious. Since my JKUS is at 83K - I called three dealers in my area for a quote on changing spark plugs.

Dealer #1 - $599 - included new plenum gaskets
Dealer #2 - $399 - did not include new plenum gaskets
Dealer #3 - $189 - did not include new plenum gaskets - but could pay for part and they will change.

Crazy the price difference at dealers for this...

Dealer #3 is the one I bought it from - and, with this job, I may just pay the $240 and let them do it...

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
So - I was curious. Since my JKUS is at 83K - I called three dealers in my area for a quote on changing spark plugs.

Dealer #3 - $189 - did not include new plenum gaskets - but could pay for part and they will change.

Dealer #3 is the one I bought it from - and, with this job, I may just pay the $240 and let them do it...

FWIW... the plenum gaskets are $0.47 ea from Rick Auto.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts

I'd be interested in knowing how much time they allow for the job. $189 sounds cheap, considering most dealers are getting about $120-$135/hour depending on where you're located.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
I was told 2.5 hours.
That's about what I thought. I can't speak to how dealers do business where you live, but around here even the selling dealer is not discounting parts and labor on a tune up, or any other service with the possible exception of an oil change, maybe. But that's about it. For $189 I'd want to watch and make sure all 6 plugs get changed, and not the right bank of the engine only.

·
Registered
899 Posts
That's about what I thought. I can't speak to how dealers do business where you live, but around here even the selling dealer is not discounting parts and labor on a tune up, or any other service with the possible exception of an oil change, maybe. But that's about it. For $189 I'd want to watch and make sure all 6 plugs get changed, and not the right bank of the engine only.
Well - they advertise it on their website, too, when you go to schedule it online...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am a fairly mechanical person. I have been repairing my own vehicles for over 20 years now and it took me 2 hours to change the plugs. $189 is pretty cheap to have a mechanic do the work. The plugs along cost around $50 for the 6 plugs. The plenum gaskets cost me $6 at the dealer and one you have the plenum off, they just take a few minutes to replace. You just pull the old one out of the groove and place the new gasket in the groove. It took me just a few minutes to replace the gaskets.

Here is a picture of my engine after I took the intake manifold off.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I kept getting a misfire message in my Engine Service light. Decided to just play with the plugs, seeing as a coil pack was going to cost a little more than I felt like at the time.

I figured out how to get to the plugs (as mentioned above, driver side was not fun). This was probably the most intense/in-depth vehicle work I've ever done. I've played with engines before, but mostly single cylinder lawn mowers/etc. Seeing as this is my daily driver, and I was working on replacing the plugs on a Tuesday night, this was a bit nerve wracking...

Got everything completed around 11:30 that night. Drove into work the next morning, everything seemed fine.

Upon leaving work, that light came back on. Same cylinder, only this time, another cylinder was acting up.

Took it all apart yet again. Found one plugs electrodes were nearly touching, and just made sure to tighten all of them again.

Drove to another O'Reilly's to have them clear the code, and since then everything seems all good.

Was rather proud of myself there.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Well - they advertise it on their website, too, when you go to schedule it online...

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't disputing what you said. I just find their price hard to believe since they book 2.5 hours labor and the plugs cost about $50. Call me a skeptic. At $100/hour you're looking at a $300 job, w/o the gaskets. My dealer is up to $135/hour now.

I remember back in the day there were some real tough engines to change plugs on, and many times they'd change 4 or 5 out of 6 plugs and send you packing. I'm sure it is still done now. If I were to pay the $189, I'd make sure by watching that they changed all 6 plugs.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't disputing what you said. I just find their price hard to believe since they book 2.5 hours labor and the plugs cost about $50. Call me a skeptic. At $100/hour you're looking at a $300 job, w/o the gaskets. My dealer is up to $135/hour now.

I remember back in the day there were some real tough engines to change plugs on, and many times they'd change 4 or 5 out of 6 plugs and send you packing. I'm sure it is still done now. If I were to pay the $189, I'd make sure by watching that they changed all 6 plugs.
Sorry for coming off that way - I was just trying to show you that I wasn't BSing the low price I said - it was shocking to me, too. It seems too good to be true - but, that's the risk I'll take if I take it to them...maybe ask for all 6 plugs back? They don't have a service bay window to watch them, and, more than likely, I'd probably be at their mercy of truth since I'd have to drop it off while I'm at work...

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Sorry for coming off that way - I was just trying to show you that I wasn't BSing the low price I said - it was shocking to me, too. It seems too good to be true - but, that's the risk I'll take if I take it to them...maybe ask for all 6 plugs back? They don't have a service bay window to watch them, and, more than likely, I'd probably be at their mercy of truth since I'd have to drop it off while I'm at work...
I might have come off as calling you out? If so I'm sorry! Type written communication can be tough, it's all good though!

Call me a Doubting Thomas. I spent a few years working in various dealerships, and shops. Unless I can watch I don't trust them for that type of work. It could also be a NY thing.

Producing 6 used plugs wouldn't be that hard for a dealership. Paying double the price guarantees nothing, so going for the more costly job doesn't mean anything. If you trust them, use them. Then ask for the old plugs anyway. You should be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or DIY with a fellow Jeeper, and have no worries at all. ;)

Now if you had a tech like Dave who does the videos doing your work, you'd be golden!!!!!!!! He's one of the exceptions, not the norm.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 80-85k miles as well, took me about 6 hours so, i'm not a mechanic, so i was looking at pictures, and trying to figure out how to get the job done while i was going through the process... i'd think next time it'll take half of that time, now that i know what to disconnect.

I didn't change the gasket, as my neighbor said they're reusable, guy was a mechanic, not Jeep mechanic, but what that heck, i welcome all recommendations :), if it's not, is not leaking, i check things like a hawk everywhere, and my Jeep is now at 100k miles with ZERO leaks anywhere. Hope to put another 100k in her and keep it the same..
Also didn't change the spark plug wires, oh well, will see how long they last i guess, cause i have no plans of changing those plugs for another 80k miles, hopefully the wires will last that long, lol.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 80-85k miles as well, took me about 6 hours so, i'm not a mechanic, so i was looking at pictures, and trying to figure out how to get the job done while i was going through the process... i'd think next time it'll take half of that time, now that i know what to disconnect.

I didn't change the gasket, as my neighbor said they're reusable, guy was a mechanic, not Jeep mechanic, but what that heck, i welcome all recommendations :), if it's not, is not leaking, i check things like a hawk everywhere, and my Jeep is now at 100k miles with ZERO leaks anywhere. Hope to put another 100k in her and keep it the same..
Also didn't change the spark plug wires, oh well, will see how long they last i guess, cause i have no plans of changing those plugs for another 80k miles, hopefully the wires will last that long, lol.
6 hours that's crazy. I can do mine in just over a hour. I changed the plugs and wires in about 2 hours. I don't see how it could take 6 hours. I'm not a mechanic either.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
damn, i must be the slowest Jeep mechanic there is haha.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe the Jeep dealer has special tools to get the job done quicker.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I kept getting a misfire message in my Engine Service light. Decided to just play with the plugs, seeing as a coil pack was going to cost a little more than I felt like at the time.

I figured out how to get to the plugs (as mentioned above, driver side was not fun). This was probably the most intense/in-depth vehicle work I've ever done. I've played with engines before, but mostly single cylinder lawn mowers/etc. Seeing as this is my daily driver, and I was working on replacing the plugs on a Tuesday night, this was a bit nerve wracking...

Got everything completed around 11:30 that night. Drove into work the next morning, everything seemed fine.

Upon leaving work, that light came back on. Same cylinder, only this time, another cylinder was acting up.

Took it all apart yet again. Found one plugs electrodes were nearly touching, and just made sure to tighten all of them again.

Drove to another O'Reilly's to have them clear the code, and since then everything seems all good.

Was rather proud of myself there.
which misfire code? you said misfire and 2012 in the same post. have you had a leak down check done to see if you are a candidate for the head recall (with updated valve seats that don't work their way loose)?

a bad coil would typically show up as a specific fault code if it had a short to ground or open circuit.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
which misfire code? you said misfire and 2012 in the same post. have you had a leak down check done to see if you are a candidate for the head recall (with updated valve seats that don't work their way loose)?

a bad coil would typically show up as a specific fault code if it had a short to ground or open circuit.
I believe it was a P030(?).

It's been a few months now. I probably will try an investigate this recall. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know "Motor City Mechanic" is a member here..just watched a 2 part vid last night on youtube showing replacing the oil cooler/filter assembly on a 3.6. Part 1 will give you step by step on getting the upper intake off.

I built the motor in my street/strip car back in the early 90's so I am very comfortable mechanical wise, but watching that video showed me it's a whole new ballgame now. The technology packed into these engines is astounding.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts