Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I believe it was a P030(?).

It's been a few months now. I probably will try an investigate this recall. Much appreciated.
Yes, I think the codes are cylinder specific, like P0302, P0304 and P0306. The misfire is on the driver's side cylinder head (on RWD/LHD vehicles).

You can also check the Julian date code on the head. It's on the exhaust port, right before the manifold. I forgot the exact date but it's posted here somewhere on the forum along with a picture of the stamp. It's a little hard to find.

I know "Motor City Mechanic" is a member here..just watched a 2 part vid last night on youtube showing replacing the oil cooler/filter assembly on a 3.6. Part 1 will give you step by step on getting the upper intake off.

I built the motor in my street/strip car back in the early 90's so I am very comfortable mechanical wise, but watching that video showed me it's a whole new ballgame now. The technology packed into these engines is astounding.
Motor City Mechanic is pretty cool. I have chatted with him and have seen his videos. I saw the one he did on the cylinder head replacement recall. Pretty good video.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I just finished my plugs on my 2015 JKU (I did the plenum gaskets and the coil boots too while I was at it.) . I called my local trusted mechanic... $255. I ordered the parts from Rock Auto ($73.78 + priority shipping) and did the job in approx 3.5 hours. Book time is 2.5 based on the mechanic shop... so not bad for my 1st time.
I spent a little extra time removing the plenum a 2nd time since I forgot the padding that goes under it, luckily it was just the top bolts I had to remove again.
I will say I found the passenger side more painful than the entire plenum removal and driverside just for the simple fact that all those hoses, wires and the battery box are in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
I just finished my plugs on my 2015 JKU (I did the plenum gaskets and the coil boots too while I was at it.) . I called my local trusted mechanic... $255. I ordered the parts from Rock Auto ($73.78 + priority shipping) and did the job in approx 3.5 hours. Book time is 2.5 based on the mechanic shop... so not bad for my 1st time.
I spent a little extra time removing the plenum a 2nd time since I forgot the padding that goes under it, luckily it was just the top bolts I had to remove again.
I will say I found the passenger side more painful than the entire plenum removal and driverside just for the simple fact that all those hoses, wires and the battery box are in the way.

How many miles are on a 2015 that you needed to change the plugs already?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
How many miles are on a 2015 that you needed to change the plugs already?
Only 50,000 but I usually perform maint early. I waited until 100,000 on wife's Caravan, plugs were stuck in heads- sold the van.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Only 50,000 but I usually perform maint early. I waited until 100,000 on wife's Caravan, plugs were stuck in heads- sold the van.
for this situation, would spraying liquid wrench down there damage anything? Always wondered. Done tones of spark plug changes on 4 cylinders (old honda's) without stuck spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
for this situation, would spraying liquid wrench down there damage anything? Always wondered. Done tones of spark plug changes on 4 cylinders (old honda's) without stuck spark plugs.
I am not sure. I wasn't the one doing the work. It was my mechanic. He could have certainly boned me w/ the labor time, but instead called to let me know what he was up against 1st. One big issue w/ the Caravan, at least the one we had, was the transverse mounted motor V6. Three of the plugs were a bitch to get to in the 1st place since the were up against/ under the edge, of the firewall.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I am not sure. I wasn't the one doing the work. It was my mechanic. He could have certainly boned me w/ the labor time, but instead called to let me know what he was up against 1st. One big issue w/ the Caravan, at least the one we had, was the transverse mounted motor V6. Three of the plugs were a bitch to get to in the 1st place since the were up against/ under the edge, of the firewall.
Ya had a 2011 dodge caravan with one of the first transverse mounted 3.6L pentastar. Got rid of it for my jeep. co-worker Got a Cherokee trailhawlk...has the transverse mount 3.2L V6, prob going to run into the same problem

·
Registered
964 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 80-85k miles as well, took me about 6 hours so, i'm not a mechanic, so i was looking at pictures, and trying to figure out how to get the job done while i was going through the process... i'd think next time it'll take half of that time, now that i know what to disconnect.

I didn't change the gasket, as my neighbor said they're reusable, guy was a mechanic, not Jeep mechanic, but what that heck, i welcome all recommendations :), if it's not, is not leaking, i check things like a hawk everywhere, and my Jeep is now at 100k miles with ZERO leaks anywhere. Hope to put another 100k in her and keep it the same..
Also didn't change the spark plug wires, oh well, will see how long they last i guess, cause i have no plans of changing those plugs for another 80k miles, hopefully the wires will last that long, lol.
your going to be spending a LONG time trying to change spark plug wires on a 3.6..... considering it doesnt have wires to change

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
your going to be spending a LONG time trying to change spark plug wires on a 3.6..... considering it doesnt have wires to change
Coil packs, sorry for the mistake :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 49k miles and while they did not look worn, they were contaminated. I had one actually go bad on me.

My rig has a blower so I am probably a worse case scenario but there was a ton of crankcase blow by inside my manifolds from the PCV system. I did not have to pull the blower or any manifolds to access the plugs but I removed it a week or so later.

It was not worth the time but I did index my plugs too.
changing plugs used to be something you did in your driveway on a Sunday afternoon now its take it to the shop and pay the dealer or someone else to do it .Dont you just love these new cars no grease fitting you cant work on them just write checks is all you can do

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
changing plugs used to be something you did in your driveway on a Sunday afternoon now its take it to the shop and pay the dealer or someone else to do it .Dont you just love these new cars no grease fitting you cant work on them just write checks is all you can do
They can still be done in the driveway on a Sunday afternoon. Not that hard really. I've done 3 replacements so far; no big deal... now try the PCV... that's bitch!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts