Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...couldn't get the oil cap off for the death of me. It would just click when I turned it. Tried pushing and turning, no good. Finally just carefully pried the top of the cap off with a screwdriver and found this...

image-3769553569.jpg

image-3198977823.jpg

No big deal just used some vise grips and unscrewed what was left of the cap from the valve cover and replaced it with a one piece cap from the auto parts store. $9 later we're back in business

image-335081965.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Happened to me too....

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
That is a craptastic design.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Was your engine hot? I heard those caps are designed not to open when the engine is hot...usually they'll open after bout 15 minutes or so.

I've never tested it...just what I've heard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those caps break very easily. This happened to me on my first oil change also. My suggestion just go out and get a replacement cap for a couple bucks and just take some pliers to get the busted cap off. Hope that helps you out

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah I think any model after '97 came with the heat/vacuum lock oil caps.. If you unscrew it rt after you turn off the engine you can get it off before it locks its self up. If not you have to wait 15-20min

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I wish I would have found that in advance. I went into with the mindset like it would be like every other oil change I've done. Won't make that mistake again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah that is a very common problem. Same thing happened to me years ago and I did the same thing. Pried off the cap, used pliers to get the other half of the oil cap out and replaced with a new one. So what I do now is I loosen the cap prior to warming the engine before the oil change.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Whats the best place to get replacements of the oil cap? I know for gascaps the AZ/AA replacements suck..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got mine from advance auto parts. I thought it was a little pricey for just a plastic cap, but I was kinda stuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts