Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys need some advice. Looking to change my axles to 4.10's. I have 87 wrangler, 4.2, with 5 speed and 3.07 gears. Mileage sucks and 5th gear is a joke. Have updated carb to the motorcraft and still bad. I'm running 32 inch tires with ome lift and figured changing gears would at least get me the power i want and maybe improve milage by not working motor as hard. Any reason why I shouldn't go to the 4.10s? Use my jeep for hunting and fishing and work truck. Not alot of off roading.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Look for some axles from a 2.5l YJ they come stock with 4.10s if not then you will need to rear gear. I suggest looking at the gearing calculators to find what size gears you need for your tires. Ive been running 4.56 with my 37's with very little issues.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ford 8.8 is the BEST swap I could ever imagine. Posi (limited slip differential) and disc brakes are an incredible upgrade. Not to mention the difference in axle tubing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have one :D Cuz I swapped to a Ford 8.8. But I cut off the shock mounts and would need to do some cosmetic work for you and make it pretty. It's 4.10... and you would need to redo the brake lines.

·
Registered
886 Posts
yeah, sorry I didn't clarify. bit I also have to put the brake components back on there too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
whY402Jay said:
I have one :D Cuz I swapped to a Ford 8.8. But I cut off the shock mounts and would need to do some cosmetic work for you and make it pretty. It's 4.10... and you would need to redo the brake lines.
Does the 8.8 fit under the jeep or is there alot of cutting ? And is there a way to keep the jeep bolt pattern ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
1990wrangler said:
Does the 8.8 fit under the jeep or is there alot of cutting ? And is there a way to keep the jeep bolt pattern ?
It fits. It's less than an inch narrower. The 8.8 has the same 5x4.5 bolt pattern as the YJ. You do have to cut off all the old brackets and weld in new ones, and you have to re-due the brake and e-brake lines.

If you find an 8.8 with the gears you want, it's only a couple hundred bucks. If you build it up it's a lot more.

If you don't do much hard wheeling like you previously mentioned, it's not worth doing. You can find a donor D35 like the one I sold for $130 bucks.

Good luck with whatever you deside.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks and yea I got the 4 cyl so I got 4.10 but I wanted stronger axles cause I plan on getting a newer jeep and making that basically a beach/trail jeep so looking at my options and I was looking maybe into rubicons axles but I think they are 3.88 but I want the lockers and friends tell me buying lockers for a dana 30 & 35 is a waste of money

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even better would be to get the 4.10 geared limited slip 8.8 from an Explorer with disc brakes and 31 spline shafts AND the front high pinion solid axle from a 2.5L XJ. That combo is tits for a mild build upgrade for 6 cylendar guys.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've been told that if you have an HP 30, it might as well be a TJ 44. So it is already a strong axle that can take a beating, but it will be even stronger (up to 40%) based on the Super axle kit. Most of the deals I have researched come with some kind of locker, too. It all depends on what you will be using your Jeep for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am trying to build a somewhat beast but the cheapest way possible cause I just got a house and low spending money but I want my jeep to be sexier and beastier, my stock yj with 31"s and original leafs from 1990 I was keeping up with xj's lifted with 33"s and 35"s

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, swap in an 8.8, it's nastier than a 44. Beefier tubing, limited slip, and disc brakes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I guess I misunderstood your finances. By all means do the 8.8 in the rear, it's a great swap.

As for the D30, you can leave it. It's pretty strong in stock form, but you can swap in TJ axles which eliminates the 2piece passenger shaft, and it has larger U-joints. Or you can get an axle kit, which does the same thing, but has stronger axles.

A friend of mine runs a stock D30 in his YJ with 35's and a lunchbox locker, no problems. I still have an open D30.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was going to go with 4.10's but a buddy thinks I would be happy with 3.73's. That way I could use existing axles and just regear. Anyone have the 3.73's? Good or Bad.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Was going to go with 4.10's but a buddy thinks I would be happy with 3.73's. That way I could use existing axles and just regear. Anyone have the 3.73's? Good or Bad.
I will depend on the size of tire you will be running as well as the motor size. Don't you have a 2.5l?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts