Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 97 2.5 5spd with 131,000 I'm not sure if the fluids have been changed other than oil. The jeep is running good but to reassure myself I'd like to change the fluids. What kind if fluids do I need for this? I'm not the most mechanically inclined so if if there are any write ups someone can put me to it would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
The transfer case requires ATF, any kind of ATF is fine. ATF+4 is a good choice.

For your 5-speed manual transmission, Redline MT-90 is superb, and you can get it from www.summitracing.com Or if you need it more quickly, the manufacturer (Aisin) added synthetic 10W-30 engine oil as a suitable gear lube. You can read about the Redline MT-90 at Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Note that 75W-90 gear lube and 10W-30 engine oil might sound like two widely varying viscosities but they're really not. Gear lubes and engine oils are measured on two different scales and in reality, 10W-30 engine oil and 75W90 gear lube are very similar to each other in terms of viscosity.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
just a thought for you: i bought a used 5-speed Wrangler and took it to my local Jeep dealer who has an excellent reputation and for less than $130 they changed all the driveline fluids (trany, transfer case, axles)....took less than 2 hours...for that kind of money and time it almost does not make sense to do this yourself because this type of maintenance only needs to be done every 40K miles. They used only the Mopar fluids that are supposed to be used including special axle fluid for the limited slip rear axles.

I'll change the engine oil myself since that is so simple and needs to be done every 3,000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts