Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I just changed my rear axle fluid, although I found some write ups on how to do it, I didn't found anything about a wrangler dana 35, so I took some pics while I did this. Hope it make someone decide on make it on their own, it's a really simple job to do.

First start loosing all the bolts, just till you can turn them by hand, then start removing them, from bottom to top, and leave the top bolt in place so the cap won't fall to the ground.

Then hit it with a hammer or something heavy (it's recomended to use a rubber hammer) to break the gasket seal, and insert a screw driver on the side so the oil can leak (use a bigger one than that in the pic, I ended up putting a stone for faster leak)

After most of the oil is out, remove the cap and check for broken teeth or something (I didn't see anything wrong except for the really dark old oil lol)

This is how the cap look on the inside. I used paper towel to clean it and a wire wheel brush on the drill to remove the silicone.

All cleaned up cap

The outer side was full of dust, paint and rust

I used the same wire brush on the drill to clean this surface, and there was letters in there! lol

Little buddy making company

After brushing it and ready for paint

Two coats of dupli color (I know it isn't the best, but is the only pick up liner that i found here :doh: )

After letting it dry, aply silicone sealant on the inner ring

Then put the gasket over there and align the holes

Do the same thing with third member, aply silicone sealant to the frame after cleaning it as much as posible

Now put the top bolt in the cap and put the cap in place by screwing the top bolt with your hand

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Proceed with all 10 bolts, put them in place and bolt them by hand till you have to use the wrench. Then star tightening them a bit in line patern (e.g. first bolt, then the sixth, then the third, then the tenth, and so on) until they are all tight, and make another circle round tightening them all to desired torque (30 lbs, i just tightened them strong with a short 8" wrench)

I put a short hose in the bottle cap to allow me to fill the diff by pumping the bottle

Finally, fill it till the oil level reach de lower part of the filler hole, put the rubber plug in it (I applied some sealant in it just in case) jack your jeep down, and that's all!

:wavey:

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Great write up. I didn't use that fancy gasket on mine...just RTV. :thumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow, I've been getting ripped off! Time to take a few shop classes...

I'm hopefully pulling the trigger on my next TJ this weekend, and I was worried about surface rust since the Jeep's been in Vallejo, CA by the Bay its whole life. I haven't inspected it yet, but the owner sent ~20 pictures of the frame, undercarriage, shocks, etc. I saw some surface rust but wasn't sure if I should be worried.After researching a little, and looking at other undercarriages on WF, do I have anything to really be concerned about? Maybe we just have pre-purchase jitters. I will probably get it coated in the future and replace the exhaust system soon.

Thanks for the great post.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice!
I had the stealership do mine and they just sucked out the old oil and replaced it without touching the cover or doing a proper drain and cleanup. Overcharged me, I think, too.
Both diffies done (with suction) manual tranny drain and fill, and transfer case drain and fill. 2-1/2 hours in the waiting room and $350. Youch.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Fantastic write-up!! I will be subscribing to this for the next time I want to try this task on my own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
TahoeBen said:
Wow, I've been getting ripped off! Time to take a few shop classes...

I'm hopefully pulling the trigger on my next TJ this weekend, and I was worried about surface rust since the Jeep's been in Vallejo, CA by the Bay its whole life. I haven't inspected it yet, but the owner sent ~20 pictures of the frame, undercarriage, shocks, etc. I saw some surface rust but wasn't sure if I should be worried.After researching a little, and looking at other undercarriages on WF, do I have anything to really be concerned about? Maybe we just have pre-purchase jitters. I will probably get it coated in the future and replace the exhaust system soon.

Thanks for the great post.
I don't think that jeep looks too bad just look like minor surface rust nothing to worry about and good luck on the purchase!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Blind Dog said:
Nice!
I had the stealership do mine and they just sucked out the old oil and replaced it without touching the cover or doing a proper drain and cleanup. Overcharged me, I think, too.
Both diffies done (with suction) manual tranny drain and fill, and transfer case drain and fill. 2-1/2 hours in the waiting room and $350. Youch.
Ouch! Definitely start doing it yourself. So much cheaper and you can do everything 100% instead of just sucking it out. I had my differentials changed once at the dealership for $110 and said never again

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ouch! Definitely start doing it yourself. So much cheaper and you can do everything 100% instead of just sucking it out. I had my differentials changed once at the dealership for $110 and said never again
I always have in the past, but my bad knee and back aren't getting any younger. :redface:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts