Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 05 tj and took it to the shop to have everything looked at. The total list of things that need to be done was close to 1400, as the previous owner didn't take care of everything too well. To knock down the price, I figured I could change the differential fluid myself. I've never done it, but it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult. I don't know that much about cars, but am mechanically inclined. They quoted me at 175, seemed pricey to me. Any opinion on doing this myself and tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the info y'all. I have never messed with differentials and honestly know nothing about them but my 04 TJ is at 98,000 so I guess I really need to do mine.
Looks simple enough.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Changing the diff fluid isn't an outrageously difficult procedure, but there is still a good reason to have an experienced Jeep tech do it for you.

Last spring, I had both diffs serviced in my new-to-me '98 TJ. Purely for convenience sake, I decided to have one of my trusted Jeep techs handle the job. This turned out to be a good thing, because while he was cleaning the rear diff he saw that the factory Trac-Lok was just starting to come apart; the little pins/clips/something were just barely beginning to work their way out. He stopped in the middle of the job, paged me, and showed me what he found. Never having seen a Trac-Lok at the earliest stages of self destruction, I would have completely missed this minor little detail... but to his highly experienced eye, it stood out like a sore thumb.

Had I been doing this job on my own, I would have blindly put the cover back on, added fresh fluid, and kept driving in blissful ignorance... until it catastrophically failed (read: blew up) at a later time. Thanks to his experience, I was able to avoid any collateral damage as well as what would have been at the very least a major inconvenience. His trained eye kept my repair cost very low.

Long story short: sometimes it pays to have an experienced tech look things over for you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It is a pretty simple process, I just did the rear diff last night. Although if you do have a trac loc it would be a good idea to have an experienced tech look at the diff

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It's easy and the gaskets are about $4 each it's way cheaper if you do it yourself.
RTV maybe is $4.... but the LubeLocker gaskets are about $15ea and well worth every penny.

I've had mine for 3-4yrs now and they are reusable. I change diff's about twice a year depending on wheelig trips and time spent in mud/water areas

You can only get the Lubelockers online, like 4wd.com or other sites, I have never seen them sold locally yet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was definitely easy and well worth my effort to do it myself. I am going to look into the lubelockers for next time. The hardest part was cleaning the old RTV off. I am sure lubelockers will save a huge amount of time. Thanks for the tip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts