Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so this weekend I'm going to change the filter and the engine oil on my 2004 sport X 4L and I would like to know how much oil should I put in and if you have any recommendations or tips about it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,390 Posts
One hint, don't overtighten the oil pan's drain plug once you're done draining the oil. And hand thread it into the pan, only use a wrench for the final tightening. Good and snug is all that's needed, you only need to have it snug enough to prevent leaking. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Make sure the basket on the old oil filter is not stuck on the engine block. That will cause the new filter to not wear correctly and leak.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't forget to oil up your new filter's threads before installing it. Just put a little clean oil on your finger and rub the threads. It'll help the new filter thread on correctly, and easily.

·
Registered
526 Posts
6 quarts of 5-30. Check the parts store for the filter. loosen the drain plug, drain oil, take off oil filter, let drain for a little bit, screw drain and filter on. fill with oil. Remember to start and run the engine for a minute or so then shut it off to measure with the dipstick. if not, there will be more oil in the sump than normal because no oil has been run through the oil pump and filter. Dont over-tighten the drain plug, dont over-tighten the filter. make sure the drain plug washer is in good shape. last thing youll want is to have oil leaking out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Don't forget to oil up your new filter's threads before installing it. Just put a little clean oil on your finger and rub the threads. It'll help the new filter thread on correctly, and easily.
In over 30 years of changing oil & filters, I've never heard of that. I'm not sure if lubricating the threads is a good idea as it can change the amount of torque req'd when tightening the fastener. There are charts for torque req'd depending on dry or lubricated.

Be sure to put a light coat of oil on the new filters seal
This I was taught back in the 70s during high school auto.

·
Registered
591 Posts
In over 30 years of changing oil & filters, I've never heard of that. I'm not sure if lubricating the threads is a good idea as it can change the amount of torque req'd when tightening the fastener. There are charts for torque req'd depending on dry or lubricated.

This I was taught back in the 70s during high school auto.
I've always filled up the filter with some fresh oil, thus "oiling the threads".

Hand tight has worked in every vehicle I have ever had.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,390 Posts
Yep hand tight and filling the filter with oil before mounting it is my mantra too. And prefilling the filter is of course going to lubricate the threads.

·
Registered
454 Posts
OK, I guess I've inadvertently lubed the threads as well when prefilling the filter over the years.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep hand tight and filling the filter with oil before mounting it is my mantra too. And prefilling the filter is of course going to lubricate the threads.
And you always get a little on your hands for the seal. A procedure made just for this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts