Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 TJ with a 4 cyl and 5-speed manual transmission. It has a scary amount of miles on it and I am sure still has the original fluid in the trany and transfer case. I would like to change both and am looking for advice. What grade and/or brands do you folks like? Anything tricky to watch out for? Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
You have the AX5 transmission and a great choice of manual transmission lubricant would be Redline MT-90. You can get it from several sources but Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing has it at a discount and they ship quickly.

Or cheaper and easier would be any good brand of a synthetic 10W-30 motor oil. Aisin, the manufacturer of your AX5 approved that as a lube after realizing the officially recommended GL4 75W-90 gear lube was too hard to find. No worries, the actual viscosities of a 10W-30 motor oil is essentially the same viscosity as a 75W-90 gear lube. Gear lubes and motor oils are measured on two different viscosity scales.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pull the fill plug first, want to make sure you can get it out before you drain the old stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts