Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hey everyone here in the YJ forums. Finally gave into my itch, and got me a YJ to scratch haha. No more JK stuff. I liked it and all, to be sure, but it just doesn't have the Jeep feel.

Purchased a '87. I know many will say the tranny and t/c are crap...I know. Replacement is in the plans. Anyways, here it is as it sits now:

99,000mi
Peugeot 5 speed manual (on the chopping block)
NP 208 t/c (on the chopping block)

Never lifted. Came with the half doors, and a set of not-color-matching full doors, the rhino-lined hard top. Half doors are lined on the inside as well as the floorboards. Got it for $3800. Not bad at all if ya ask me.

Motor runs nice and smooth. Couple little leaks, to be expected. I'm stoked man...got some serious plans for this'n.

P.S.

Nothing says Classic Jeep like 2 different front seats haha!

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. How long before you start a thread about missing your seat heaters and the features on your JK? Im sure you saw that thread by the guy that missed his Lexus features on his JK. Lmao!
Haha I need seat heaters I'll eat some beans before the drive!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cool beans, I'd like to buy my wife a JK, but thats alot of $$$.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove it a couple hundred miles over the weekend. Man, smooth as silk. Finally "feels" like a Jeep again.

This 4.2l is in pretty good shape. Runs really tight and so far no apparent oil useage (checking every stop for a while).

I have some glo light halo 4" round LED tail lights laying around from a JK list of stuff. I'm gonna make that my first YJ mod.

Gotta say I'm a sucker for Jeep nostalgia. Really liking that this is a first year (of wrangler) and last year they were AMC designed and built.

Plan so far is waggy SOA, ax-15/231 transplant, axle swap(s) and then wheels and tires. Then a trip wheeling in Colorado with @jadmt

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stuck in 4WD

Previous owner put on a cheap-arsed body lift without addressing linkages. Soooo...I'm stuck in 4H. No biggie. Not gonna bother with the linkage now, so I just removed the front d/s.

Runs like a top still...got about another 300mi on it, watching the oil level like a hawk, and absolutely no use of oil that I can detect on the dipstick. Good pressure (around 40psi on-road cruising speed). Swapped my almost new red top Optima in it last night as well.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Round LED Tail Light(s)

When I got the Jeep, it had been on a ranch for a few years. Only the headlights would come on. Changed a couple of fuses and presto!

Did find one light to be bad, passenger rear. When I went to change the bulb, the socket was corroded so badly that the contacts turned to dust when I went to scrape them clean. I was able to drop some solder in there to get it to work for vehicle inspection, etc.

Anyways...I've had these 4" LED's laying around for a good while now. They're the Optronics Glo Lights. Saw them on some 18-wheeler trailers and I like them. They're not commonly on vehicles.

Got one side done and dang-it, wouldn't you know I had to stop. So I have one nice LED light on the passenger side, and the stocker on the driver side lol. Sanford and Son!

Ultimately the plan is to repaint this thing Anvil. The current paint job is a $99 special lol.

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a pair of axles for next to nothing. Gonna start accumulating some parts for them, get them ready and slap them in...along with getting in the new-to-me waggy springs.

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I did the Nutter. Seems to be sputtering a bit and losing power over around 2000 rpms. Gonna try running a direct ground for the ignition module and see if that clears it up. My stupid ass should've done that yesterday while i was right there...but it was pouring rain and i was outside working in it.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Been quite a while since posting. Been pretty nice just enjoying the jeep instead of designing stuff for jeeps and whatnot.

Put about 11,000mi on it going all over, using it for work lol, and actually it runs really good. Only problem is that I have a friend in WI, and he has 3 Cummins 4BT's on pallets, and is virtually giving me one with a V/E pump and very little mileage on it.

So...as normal, plans change. Gonna swap in a new drivetrain. 4BT, AX-15, D300 I grabbed (to be Lomax'd and flipped), and the axles I got for it before.

Gonna sell off the 4.2, BA10 and NP208, as well as stock axles.

Recently started tearing down the ton(ish) axles...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been quite a while since posting. Been pretty nice just enjoying the jeep instead of designing stuff for jeeps and whatnot.

Put about 11,000mi on it going all over, using it for work lol, and actually it runs really good. Only problem is that I have a friend in WI, and he has 3 Cummins 4BT's on pallets, and is virtually giving me one with a V/E pump and very little mileage on it.

So...as normal, plans change. Gonna swap in a new drivetrain. 4BT, AX-15, D300 I grabbed (to be Lomax'd and flipped), and the axles I got for it before.

Gonna sell off the 4.2, BA10 and NP208, as well as stock axles.

Recently started tearing down the ton(ish) axles...

Great stuff, will be following your build. I just got a 89’ Wrangler and my daily driver is 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 and its night and day. But the YJ is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great stuff, will be following your build. I just got a 89’ Wrangler and my daily driver is 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 and its night and day. But the YJ is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noice. Let me know when you get started...I'd like to see where and how you go with your build.

Those newer Colorado's are pretty sweet. Looks like they're bigger than before too, with more engine options to boot!

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Engines, engines...

Just like with anything else I have done, right when I think I can "lock" in a plan and start buying up stuff, there's another decision to reconsider.

Just got VERY late responses (can we say months?) to 2 inquiries I had out on engines. I had since gotten that 4BT shipped here.

One engine is a GM 5.3l out of a 2003 Yukon. Another is a 4.0 out of a Cherokee, which would be made into a 4.6l stroker. This really makes decisions more difficult to make...

GM 5.3L:

$375
Complete with all manifolds, harnesses, ECM, etc
200,000 miles
Ran fine
Turns easily with a breaker bar, so it's probably at least O.K.
All kinds of reference material being a common swap, so support for the swap is abundant.

JEEP (CHRYSLER) 4.0L (TO BE A 4.6l STROKER)

$400
Complete engine (ECM, manifolds, harnesses, etc)
150,000 miles
Ran great (verified)
IMO most common swap...extremely easy to get the motor in and practically no adapters needed.

CUMMINS 4BT

Price = already have it :)
Engine, turbo
Ran fine/67,000 miles
A lot more work to swap in, no doubt

So....without me setting up a poll, I'd like to hear thoughts on those 3 choices for those that don't mind sharing!

P.S.

Since I already have a great 4.2l in the YJ, if the 4.0l were to be used I'd DEFINITELY stroke it out to a 4.6l - so bear that in mind.

Pat

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Having started off in the same boat as you and doing a v8 swap in place of my already modded 4.2, I suppose I should offer my thoughts. For starters, a swap is a swap. They all have similar challenges and costs. Even though the 4.2 to 4.0 seems simple there will still be plenty of challenges and costs. The diesel will most likely be the most challenging and most costly obviously. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound the 5.3 is hard to beat. I have often regretted not going with the 4.6 stroker though just because it is a little more unique, but again it still would not hold a candle to the LS motor in every way. The decision is ultimately yours. All of your options would be great in your Jeep. For me, If I could pick up a 5.3 for that money I think I would be heading in that direction.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having started off in the same boat as you and doing a v8 swap in place of my already modded 4.2, I suppose I should offer my thoughts. For starters, a swap is a swap. They all have similar challenges and costs. Even though the 4.2 to 4.0 seems simple there will still be plenty of challenges and costs. The diesel will most likely be the most challenging and most costly obviously. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound the 5.3 is hard to beat. I have often regretted not going with the 4.6 stroker though just because it is a little more unique, but again it still would not hold a candle to the LS motor in every way. The decision is ultimately yours. All of your options would be great in your Jeep. For me, If I could pick up a 5.3 for that money I think I would be heading in that direction.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've been in 2 different stroker 4.x builds. One I knew for sure was a 4.6l stroker, another claimed to be a 4.7, and I've been in several LS 5.3's. There is no comparison. IMO the stroker beat out the LS. These weren't all at the same time. The numbers are similar, but the torque curve for the stroker is very flat, where the 5.3 isn't...and you can definitely tell in the Jeep.

I gotta say the 5.3l is probably more efficient, I wouldn't know that from personal experience or observation though.

I'm thinking about just making it a gasser. The 4BT would be better in something like a J-10 for me.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
Life happens, things get delayed. Yada yada. And then a 5.3l vortec falls in my lap. That settles that. Even got to ride in the truck before it was pulled (2000 Silverado). $250, under 200,000 miles, complete with PCM and harness.

Just need to freshen it up a little bit since that's cheap and easy too. And a transmission, etc etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts