Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im tired of chasing gremlins in my ignition system. To solve a past "no spark" issue,I changed all the components in my 90yj (carbureted) ignition system. Only to face the no spark issue again.....Does anyone know how to get rid of the electronics altogether and move to a point based system? ?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, you could just go to an older HEI type set up; but I suspect you may have an ECU issue if you have not considered it yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECU was bypassed during the Nutter. Im outta patience. Sure as shit ain't gonna replace the ICM every few months

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd imagine it'd be as simple as finding out what years the 4.2 had points ignition and getting yourself to a pick-n-pull. That information has got to be out there. The 4.2 didn't change much during it's run, am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd imagine it'd be as simple as finding out what years the 4.2 had points ignition and getting yourself to a pick-n-pull. That information has got to be out there. The 4.2 didn't change much during it's run, am I wrong?
True, but an electronic ignition is much better. I believe there is an HEI direct swap upgrade that all you need is 12v to the plug.

I will see if I can find it...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry, I meant the Team Rush upgrade which is based on Ford parts if my memory is correct. I could be completely off base on that though..

I am asking because I was researching doing that upgrade when I found this thread and like the simplicity of this option. Also, after watching the Golden Eagle build I

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Post Nutter By-pass

Guys, This ECM is a non issue. I did the Nutter bypass, so the ECM doesnt compute. I dont get how i can just lose spark overnite. It has to be the ICM..???? AND, Im hearing that to do the HEI thing will do away with the need for an ICM...Right?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
HEI is self contained, the module is in the dizzy along with the coil. 2 wires, one hot for ignition, one to the tach. CRT on ebay makes a good one, be careful with the cheaper ones, many have a hardened gear that will destroy your cam.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts