Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While technically they are in West Virginia, I am in Maryland so I thought I would post this here.
We went out to Chaos Offroad Park for the event they had the weekend before the 4th of July, 2017. We had not been there before, but we have been to Rousch Creek. We met up with my brother and his wife out there Sunday morning, so it was near the end of their weekend. Getting there was easy, and actually an enjoyable ride. If you head out I70 West to Hancock, Md and take 522 south past Berkley Springs, there is a nice set of country roads that cut over to US 50. Take 50 west to Capon Bridge and they are just north of town. For us it was about an hour and 20 minutes, but we live on the west side of Hagerstown. For my brother and his wife it was more like 2 hours and 20 minutes, but either way it is still comparable to going to Rousch Creek.
Anyway, when we showed up, registration was easy, and the Chaos guys were amazingly helpful. They had a air down tool to air the tires down (we just had a pair of gauges to manually drop the pressures). They also helped us disconnect our sway bar links, ours had new quick disconnects, but my sister in-law's JK needed to be un-bolted.
We gave them the entry fee, $45 driver and $10 passenger, and after a quick briefing they had us go out with a trail guide. Preston, our guide, was very helpful and really made the whole experience a great time. He made sure we did not get in over our heads (or lost), but he did push us to test ourselves a little. All in all, it was a great day out on the trails.
At the end of the experience, they had a cool rig to air up all 4 tires at once. I must say, after Moab that was probably the next best day on the trails we have had. We enjoyed it more than the other local trails we have done and look forward to going back out there in the future. The only drawback to Chaos Offroad Park is you can only go out there when they are having an "event". But don't let that scare you. We found the trails very uncrowded, Preston used his CB to make sure we did not get stuck or caught in "traffic" with other groups, and while we did see other groups we were never waiting behind them.
I encourage others to give their events a try.
I was also impressed with the guys from Chaos Offroad, and when the time comes to pay someone to re-gear our Jeep I think they may be who does it. They really seemed to be in it for the right reasons.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We were back out at Chaos Off Road Park this past weekend. We had another excellent time. We ended up with Preston leading us around again, and we had a couple other Jeeps with us in the group, so it was four Jeeps plus Preston. Everyone had 35" tires or bigger except us. That made us feel a little "inadequate". But my wife didn't seem to let it stop her. She got hung up once, high centered, but a quick pull and she was good to go. I guess that is the first time we have been "stuck".
But it was another good time.
They are having another event next weekend, but I am not sure we can make it. I do highly recommend it, however.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We were back out at Chaos Off Road Park this past weekend. We had another excellent time. We ended up with Preston leading us around again, and we had a couple other Jeeps with us in the group, so it was four Jeeps plus Preston. Everyone had 35" tires or bigger except us. That made us feel a little "inadequate". But my wife didn't seem to let it stop her. She got hung up once, high centered, but a quick pull and she was good to go. I guess that is the first time we have been "stuck".
But it was another good time.
They are having another event next weekend, but I am not sure we can make it. I do highly recommend it, however.
GREAT reviews - THANKS! How difficult are the trails, any damage to your vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GREAT reviews - THANKS! How difficult are the trails, any damage to your vehicles?
No, zero damage to any of the vehicles in our group.
They have trails from mild to wild. The easy trail there are easier than the easy trails at, say, Rousch Creek. But they have harder trails to go as far as you might want to go in a near stock Jeep and beyond. Since we have only seen guys on the hard trails, I am not the guy to tell you how good their hard trails are. But for us in a Jeep with a 2.5" budget boost and 32" tires, their trails are actually really nice. They have some rocks, but it is not as rocky as it is at Rousch. They do have large piles of rocks you could play in if you wanted, but we don't do that, yet. The way the trail system is I also like. Much of their base trails are easy enough for stock Jeeps. For the harder trails they have side trails and obstacles that go off the main trails. Their signage is OK, it could be better as there isn't much to tell you how hard a side trail or obstacle is. But the trails and obstacles are marked.
One thing that makes it really nice, though, is that each time we have been there they have volunteer guides ( I believe they are volunteers) that they have lead you around. They break up people / groups into classes reflecting how hard they want to wheel, and the guide shows you around and takes you on trails that match your ability / Jeep. We have had Preston now twice, and he has been a great guide who tries to teach us things about what we are doing and he offers support to help people push their limits without being too pushy. I assume you can wheel there without a guide, I don't know. I have seen people there who did not have a guide. But I have enjoyed the two times we went in part because the guide we had helped make it an enjoyable day.
From some of the guys helping us disconnect our sway bars and air down the first time (we now both have quick disconnects and one of us has an air-down tool) and the air station they have to air you back up, to the owner and everyone we have met there being very nice and helpful. I can't think of a reason not to go there.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your welcome. We lived in Elkridge before moving out to Clear Spring a few years ago.
They have an event scheduled this coming weekend. It is the last public event for the year. From what I hear, the Chesapeake Jeep Club (CJC) has an event there Labor Day weekend. If you are a member with them that is an option.
If you are into camping they do camping on site but facilities are primitive. It is real camping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts