Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a rebuild kit for my 2000 tj's alternator, after installing all parts, it is not charging. I have read the stories about PCM rebuilds and how they don't last very long. I had the alternator checked at auto zone, they said it was bad, new parts now bad. I bought a junkyard alt. for a couple of bucks out of a dodge pick up, hooked it up, not charging. it was suggested that I ad an external voltage regulator, hooked it up with NEW parts alt. not charging so I do some srious checking into the situation and find a shorted field wiring , so a new part took out my PCM, destroyed an external voltage regulator. Advance auto to the rescue, one problem, at idle there is a fluctuation of about 1.5 volts. When I increase the engine speed the gauge gets pinned at 19 volts and check gages light comes on, actual voltage being produced is a constant high voltage of 16 -17 volts, too much for my liking. can anyone suggest a solution where idle voltage will be constant and higher RPM voltage will increase and decrease with load demand?
Feel like I've been doing the definition of insanity!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
SO are you using the external VR?

Do you have good grounds for the external VR? I mean down to bare metal ground.

Did you use this kit or something very similar?
http://store.alternatorparts.com/hd-external-voltage-regulator-conversion-field-replacement-kit.aspx

What are your idle voltages?

Have you determined that there is an actual over charge with a multimeter?

Have you cleaned all the grounds, 3 of them in the engine compartment?

Have you cleaned the battery terminals?

Is your battery temp sensor good?

IS your battery good? TJ's are very picky about a good battery, not just working....Good condition

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, using external VR. Good grounds for external VR.
Did not use the kit.
Idle voltages were 14.79 to 15.29vdc.
Grounds and battery terminals good and clean.
I did check the battery temp sensor using heat gun, seems to be working.
Battery is in good condition. has some age, but still good condition.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Where did you get the IGN source to excite the VR? it makes a difference.

I suggest the green/pink wire coming off the ASD relay in the PDC. That will be a clean source that will give you 14+/- volts. Many of the other places I've tried will put it an unacceptable volt range. Also check the ohms of the VR itself should be 1.75 - 1.76 this will tell you if the VR is set correctly and working properly to give you the 14 - 14.5 volts you need.

Let us know how this works for you.

test voltage regulatr ohms - Bing video

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get my voltage from the green and pink wire, all seems to be good but , once in a while I get an overcharge when I put it in reverse, go forward most of the time . All suggested tests you mentioned are ok . I made sure of that.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts