Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna get started with some lift-and-level and tire/wheel work on a new JKU soon. It's my first Wrangler, so I'm not plugged into the local Jeep community yet.

Carolina Jeepers -- Can you recommend an honest shop around Charlotte that does good work for a fair price? I'm hearing good things about Carolina Hitch in Mooresville so far, but I'm open to any suggestions.

One thing I know for sure -- stay away from dealers for this kind of work! Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have heard both good and bad things about 4wheelparts in Charlotte. Pricing on parts is as good as anywhere but labor on installs can run a bit high.

Check out the nc4x4.com forum as there are a bunch of locals down that way who can suggest a reputable shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gonna get started with some lift-and-level and tire/wheel work on a new JKU soon. It's my first Wrangler, so I'm not plugged into the local Jeep community yet.

Carolina Jeepers -- Can you recommend an honest shop around Charlotte that does good work for a fair price? I'm hearing good things about Carolina Hitch in Mooresville so far, but I'm open to any suggestions.

One thing I know for sure -- stay away from dealers for this kind of work! Thanks.
tarheel did my lift tires wheels did a great job had an issue with a tire out of balance , took it to Roadmasters in Monroe NC and they fixed it .. they can balance a donut....

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tarheel did my lift tires wheels did a great job had an issue with a tire out of balance , took it to Roadmasters in Monroe NC and they fixed it .. they can balance a donut....
Okay, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also check out Carolina Truggies in Stallings (essentially Matthews). Really nice guys. Although they haven't done any work for me yet, I've seen some of the custom stuff they've done. They can handle what ever you need.

Mud Dawg

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No Limits Off-Road or JeepMan in Harriburg on 49. Their literally right next to each other. They do you're standard stuff as well as custom fab work.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you guys don't mind, can I thread jack a bit? Since we're talking to Charlotteans, where did you buy your Jeep? Do you have a dealer you like?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Cosmic Charlie said:
If you guys don't mind, can I thread jack a bit? Since we're talking to Charlotteans, where did you buy your Jeep? Do you have a dealer you like?
I deal with Jerry Wood in Salisbury, great organization IMHO. Just picked up a used 2008 JKU.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shopped Jerry Wood in Salisbury, Black in Statesville, Steve White in Hickory, Lake Norman in Cornelius and Abernethy in Lincolnton.

Bottom line, out the door prices for a full-out Sahara were all over the map.

All of them seemed pretty straight except Lake Norman. Lake Norman did their best to hide the real price, and a service advisor I spoke with about a lift kit there lied to me, saying that a lift kit installed anywhere else would void 100 percent of the car's warrany -- total BS. Another service advisor there told me that they couldn't reprogram the speedo to recalculate bigger tires -- total BS.

All of them had different out-the-door pricing. I did business with the lowest-price dealer, Abernethy in Lincolnton. Gary Fronenburg was my sales guy, and great to deal with.

All the other dealers were $500-$1,000 higher than Abernethy out-the-door. Lake Norman (no surprise) was about $2,000 higher, and wouldn't budge.

It pays to shop round, but make sure you're coming paring exact vehicles with out-the-door bottom line pricing.

Thanks also to all for the great leads on Charlotte-area shops.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Charlotte but just bought my 06 TJ Rubi for $15,700 and they gave me $1500 over bluebook for my trade in, I got an amazing deal in Greer, SC at Benson Chyrsler Jeep Dodge. Talk to Frank.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Lake Norman, so I haven't even bothered with them.

I'm talking to Stateline (Fort Mill), McKenny (Gasonia) and Steve White (HIckory). Steve White is the best so far, but I'm still shopping. Gonna check out some of your suggestions.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in CLT also. Willing to assist with any lifts etc. although I must tell you this is my first Jeep but I have worked on several sports cars with great success. So far everything I have done to the Jeep has turned out well. Lift kit for me will take place over the winter months. Oh and I buy everything from 4wheel on South Blvd. Good prices, service and advice. I have not used them for install so can't comment on labor costs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Stay away from Stateline. Crooks. We tried to buy our '12 JKR from them. It was at another dealer in D.C. so we gave Stateline a deposit for them to secure it. They assure us we'll have it by the weeks end since it was still in transit from the factory to the dealer in D.C. Well, come Friday I hear nothing from Stateline and they won't return my calls. So I call the dealer in D.C. to inquire about it. Sure enough it's sitting on their lot, for sale, unsecured. So I called Stateline back asking WTF. They said they misplaced the paperwork or some such B.S. and said they were going to secure it that day. So, they lied to me, then lied to me again. Saturday comes and I call Stateline to see if they did secure it. They said yes. So I called the dealer in D.C. and nope, they won't transfer the vehicle to Stateline since it was the only Crush JKR within 1000 miles. Lied to again. So I told the dealer in D.C. that I wanted to put a deposit on it and buy directly from them. Which I did. Stateline refused to talk to us or return phone calls. I eventually had to get my bank involved and file fraudulent check claim to get my deposit back from Stateline.

In short. They're crooks, they treated us like tihs and tried to not return our deposit. I filed a BBB report on them.

Oh, and Tim Marburger in Concord is HORRIBLE. Their finance guy is a rude, disgusting slob. Entire time we were talking to him he was shoveling popcorn in his mouth while talking, it was falling out of his mouth all over his gut and the floor. Shot me a figure of $18.5k for our 2010 JKU trade-in when it was NADA valued at $24k. And to add insult to insult told me wife if we wanted to order the Jeep we wanted they wanted our Jeep immediately and for her to take the bus to work in the meantime. I can only imagine their lot is pretty empty of new vehicle due to the fact they treat their customers like dirt.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
A bit of a drive (though, they will come pick up your rig if you're doing a big build), but High Country 4x4 (aka Rubitrux) in Boone is good. I've done a bunch with them and Keith Keal, the GM, has been great to work with.

T

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope Chrysler monitors social sites like this so this kind of honest dealer feedback can be used to root out the crooked bastards, iimproving the business for customers, good dealers and CDJ.

All big companies track and score social media. What matters is how they leverage the information for the forces of good over evil.

Jeep? Hello? Anybody home?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchase (Family) 5 vehicles from Lake Norman. Some where in that time they became liars vagabonds. I did purchase a Jeep from McKenny in Gastonia. Tried to get my second one and third one there...what a joke. I wouldn't deal with them again ever. I have heard great things about Abernathy in Lincolnton from a friend. Stateline was okay, got stuck with a salesman who wanted to sell me a Jeep from Eastern NC. Couldn't get them to order what I wanted. I purchased one from Burns Automotive in Gaffney. Great deal and a pleasure to work with. This last one I ordered from Skyland Automotive in Asheville, NC. I drove there, 160 miles round trip twice. Well worth it. I was treated very well by one salesman. One tried to get over on my trade in. I sort of went off on that one, but overall I had done my homework and only paid about 2.8 percent under dealers invoice. Really great price and I used truecar.com. I highly recommend this site. Print out the price and the squabble is done with except with what they will offer for your trade, etc. I got 500 bucks in mods and add ons from Skyland at wholesale costs and saved me about 250 bucks. I recommend this place, although it is a drive from Charlotte. I'm on my 3rd JK. I have loved them all. I hope this helps. As far as modifications, I have done my own work. Sorry, I can't help there. Good Luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope Chrysler monitors social sites like this so this kind of honest dealer feedback can be used to root out the crooked bastards, iimproving the business for customers, good dealers and CDJ.

All big companies track and score social media. What matters is how they leverage the information for the forces of good over evil.

Jeep? Hello? Anybody home?
I also hope Chrysler Jeep is monitoring sites I have always had a bad taste for Chrysler dealers in the Charlotte area Bob Mayberry in Monroe was ok but they took his dealership away when they downsized then begged him to take it back he told Chrysler to stick it... Keffer is a joke and always be one until they get rid of the current mgm. they remind me of a bunch of carnival workers, go in the showroom about 9am and listen to the pep ralley they have each morning ... you will laugh your a$$ off...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also hope Chrysler Jeep is monitoring sites I have always had a bad taste for Chrysler dealers in the Charlotte area Bob Mayberry in Monroe was ok but they took his dealership away when they downsized then begged him to take it back he told Chrysler to stick it... Keffer is a joke and always be one until they get rid of the current mgm. they remind me of a bunch of carnival workers, go in the showroom about 9am and listen to the pep ralley they have each morning ... you will laugh your a$$ off...
Sorry didn't see your comment about Keffer, been there a couple of times. Never had what I wanted and they didn't even bother trying to find what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts