Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Commercial Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I made a pair of sway bar disconnects from the stock front sway bar links.

What you need is:
2- stock sway bar links
2- 3/8" x 12" steel pipe (lowes- $4.60 each)
4- .148 x 2- 15/16 hitch pin clips (lowes- $.71 each)

1. Take your stock sway bar links and cut them in half.
2. Determine the desired sway bar length and cut the 3/8" pipe to size.
3. Place the sway bar links inside the pipe, on both ends (it will be a little snug), and drill a hole through it. The hole should only be big enough for the hitch pin clips to fit in with little movement.
4. Install your new disconnects

I put zip ties on the end of the hitch pin clips to ensure that they don't come off until I want them to. Next week I'll pop them back off and paint them and make them look a little nicer.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Are the links a tight fit inside the pipe?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great work! I think I'll try to copy this designfor my wife's TJ once I get her new front coils in. If I can make it work... TJ links are a bit different.

·
Commercial Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Commercial Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great idea, thinking outisde the box.
I wish I could take the credit but there are several companies already selling similar products

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I wish I could take the credit but there are several companies already selling similar products

But you get the satisfaction from having made yours! :thumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
They look great but...

My only concern is that since these are the factory end links which are bolted in and you simply remove the sleeve to disconnect the 2 halves is there a risk of damaging the bottom end link that is bolted to the tab on the axel? I'm not sure if the end that is bolted to the axle tab could move and "swing" down which could then get hung up on rocks or something else when offroad. It was my understanding that a set like the JKS discos were designed to be completely removed whereas some of the others unbolt or unpin from the axle tab and swing up and out of the way. I still really like these but I'm just a little concerned about that bottom end getting damaged and then you have to possibly drive home on a disconnected sway bar...

When you are measuring for the sleeve you just make sure the sway bar is level or parallel correct?

·
Commercial Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They look great but...

My only concern is that since these are the factory end links which are bolted in and you simply remove the sleeve to disconnect the 2 halves is there a risk of damaging the bottom end link that is bolted to the tab on the axel? I'm not sure if the end that is bolted to the axle tab could move and "swing" down which could then get hung up on rocks or something else when offroad. It was my understanding that a set like the JKS discos were designed to be completely removed whereas some of the others unbolt or unpin from the axle tab and swing up and out of the way. I still really like these but I'm just a little concerned about that bottom end getting damaged and then you have to possibly drive home on a disconnected sway bar...

When you are measuring for the sleeve you just make sure the sway bar is level or parallel correct?
My lift required me to remove my front sway bar links and replace them with the longer rear links. I sized the disconnects to be the same as the rear links.

As far as the design, I don't think it will be an issue at all. The sway bar, once disconnected, will swing up and be held out of place. The lower link portion, once disconnected, will not have any pressure on it. With no pressure pushing it downward I'm sure the inward pressure applied by the nut and bolt will keep it from moving around and possibly getting damaged. I'm heading to rausch creek this weekend so I'll report back.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks like your running Rough Country springs based on the silver color. what size lift? and are you happy with it?

I live down in MD and will eventually make it to Rausch when my rig is ready

·
Commercial Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like your running Rough Country springs based on the silver color. what size lift? and are you happy with it?

I live down in MD and will eventually make it to Rausch when my rig is ready
Yup rough country 3.5" lift. I liked the kit so much I bought a second for my wife's jeep (to replace her Teraflex spacer lift). I also installed the same kit in my buddy's jeep. It rides great and clears my 35s with ease.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks nice, I have a complete 2.5" RC lift and a set of 3/4" poly spacers which will hopefully net me a solid 3" after settling is over with. It will be spring before that gets installed

Take pics of your rig up at rausch creek I like seeing that place. Also since you have a Rubi you will probably hit atleast the blues but more then likely the blacks right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts