Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m working on better tires, lights etc for my daughter’s 08. She wants better sound. Go figure.

She found this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073...9PRCP9W#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

I’m a bit skeptic that $100 would do much but it has great reviews. Might be worth a try.

Any one have any experience?

Better at a similar price? I’m paying for tires and lights. Sound budget is all hers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Upgrading a powered sub to a factory head unit is worthless in my opinion. I tried that. Changed the head unit out for an aftermarket one and wow it made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
If it’s anything like upgrading normal speakers before the headunit it will sound terrible. The stock HU just puts out a terrible signal. Any money being spent toward upgrading your sound needs to go toward a new HU before anything else. Even a cheapo HU will give a huge upgrade

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Good to know. A cheap head unit and a cheap powered sub sounds like a plan. Any suggestions on a cheap stereo?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It is hard to beat Pioneer for budget-friendly units that have a good amount of features and decent quality per dollar spent. If price is a concern, you'll get more bang per buck in a single-DIN unit- $150-$200 for a good mid-range unit. If you want double-DIN, you are looking at around $400 minimum for something that will perform and sound good.

Most powered/enclosed all-in-one subwoofers will leave you disappointed in the $100 price range. As for online reviews, they are only as good as the reviewer's frame of reference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2018-...NE-OEM-MOPAR-GENUINE-68223349AD-/192055203745

^^ the OEM Alpine sub can be retrofitted and paired with a budget mono amp that does about 400 watts RMS into a 2 ohm load

The factory sub has four 2 ohm voice coils that can be wired series/parallel for a final 2 ohm load. A budget amp like this would do fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Po...refinements=p_89:Precision+Power&s=car&sr=1-5

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best buy has a great Sony Double Din unit that is Apple car play ready and costs about $249 with free install. I love mine and great sound.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The PO of my Jeep put in a Sony head unit with the stock speakers. It sounded like crap. I replaced the speakers with some rockford Fosgate components and it improved the sound dramatically (actually a bit too bright) but there was ZERO bass. I'm talking about just basic mid-bass not window rattling, mirror-shaking bass. There was nothing - I get more bass from my MacBook Pro watching a movie!

I received one of those Rockville 8" units as a gift and thought "nothing to lose". I wired up for a "real" amp, but for now installed the Rockville unit thinking I'd replace it soon anyway. It fit very easily under the passenger seat (I have a Tuffy drawer under the driver's side)

After a couple of long road trips, I think this thing puts out plenty of bass for me, and have no plans to replace it. It provides a really good fill to the rest of the speakers, and is very adjustable so you can tune it to your preference. It is NOT going to give you thumping bass, but it will fill in the missing low frequencies from the 6.5" speakers in the knee panels and sound bar. For <$100 its a very good deal. I've spend 4 times that on "all in one" powered subs in the past and been far less impressed.

In a Jeep, the sound is NEVER going to be that good because of the basic acoustics and the fact that Jeeps are NOISY environments. I don't plan on investing a bunch of money into a high end system for that reason.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
-----
snip

I received one of those Rockville 8" units as a gift and thought "nothing to lose". I wired up for a "real" amp, but for now installed the Rockville unit thinking I'd replace it soon anyway. It fit very easily under the passenger seat (I have a Tuffy drawer under the driver's side)

After a couple of long road trips, I think this thing puts out plenty of bass for me, and have no plans to replace it. It provides a really good fill to the rest of the speakers, and is very adjustable so you can tune it to your preference.

It is NOT going to give you thumping bass, but it will fill in the missing low frequencies from the 6.5" speakers in the knee panels and sound bar. For <$100 its a very good deal. I've spend 4 times that on "all in one" powered subs in the past and been far less impressed.

In a Jeep, the sound is NEVER going to be that good because of the basic acoustics and the fact that Jeeps are NOISY environments. I don't plan on investing a bunch of money into a high end system for that reason.
Did you install it after the OEM amp, and did you use an in-line converter or simply did it off the high level input? And off of which line? the Subwoofer line (if applicable) the front or rear outputs?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Thanks. I was looking at a similar pioneer on amazon for a bit less

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HCRD217/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A2YPYC7ZHSRVLH&psc=1

I like that you can add a backup camera to these.

It’s hard to believe how reasonable the price seems. I’m sure I payed way more that this for my first car stereo back in the 80s. Ah the good old days...

These pioneers would sound much better than oem?
I am running a 2300NEX. All of the NEX systems have Carplay and IMO it's worth the extra $100. the 2300NEX is available refurb on eBay for somewhere between $239-$249.
The stock HU attenuates the highs and lows. Aftermarket HU's do not do that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Did you install it after the OEM amp, and did you use an in-line converter or simply did it off the high level input? And off of which line? the Subwoofer line (if applicable) the front or rear outputs?
I replaced the head unit, so I used the subwoofer output of the Sony HU. I would agree with the other posters that mentioned not bothering with a sub until you replace the factory head unit. I am not familiar with this particular one (since mine had already been replaced) but my experience with other factory HUs leads me to feel the same way. Waste of time to try to "upgrade" factory sound systems, generally

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. She is going to start with the cheap compact $100 “sub-woofer” thing. This is all she can afford for now. Hopefully it helps a bit - at least $100 worth. Adding to a crappy sound system surely can’t be a negative - I hope.

Maybe Santa will bring her a decent stereo. Hopefully her musical tastes can wait a couple of months.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks. She is going to start with the cheap compact $100 “sub-woofer” thing. This is all she can afford for now. Hopefully it helps a bit - at least $100 worth. Adding to a crappy sound system surely can’t be a negative - I hope.

Maybe Santa will bring her a decent stereo. Hopefully her musical tastes can wait a couple of months.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-...3&s=gateway&sprefix=kicker+hid,aps,130&sr=8-8

or google Cerwin Vega VPAS10 around $150...the 12" is around 200, but for that price, get the Kicker Hideaway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not sure why people are saying installing a powered sub to a factory system won't do... That's exactly what I did with the Alpine PWE-S8 under the drivers seat and I'm really happy with it. It turns the seat into a massage chair basically and can rattle most of the Jeep... It's obviously not as good as a aftermarket sound system but if you don't want to spend too much money I'd go with this one.

Although I have a '15 JK... Not sure if that makes a difference

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I'm not sure why people are saying installing a powered sub to a factory system won't do... That's exactly what I did with the Alpine PWE-S8 under the drivers seat and I'm really happy with it. It turns the seat into a massage chair basically and can rattle most of the Jeep... It's obviously not as good as a aftermarket sound system but if you don't want to spend too much money I'd go with this one.

Although I have a '15 JK... Not sure if that makes a difference

It's good to hear from people who did what the OP is asking: adding a powered sub to their stock HU. My comment was simply based on my experience upgrading speakers before the HU, which I would imagine would come into play just the same with a sub. After I upgraded my speakers I was pissed because the sound was worse. The new speakers really helped to clarify all the noise the stock HU pumps out. I could really hear the noise much much better. So much better I thought I might have installed the speakers wrong, or I got a bad set of speakers. I imagine the same thing will happen with a sub, but at the same time a sub only works with certain frequencies and noise will probably be hidden well, so I bet it's not as terrible as replacing normal speakers first. As a rule of thumb, I would still advise to replace the HU before any sound upgrades though - certainly before replacing speakers but adding a sub might be ok (based on your experience).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the cheap Rockville subwoofer in. It definitely makes a good improvement to the stock sound system. Well worth the $120 US and my time.

Hopefully a future better head until will do the same.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
You guys can kiss my ass. I was totally satisfied. This hits all of the bang for the buck check boxes.

I even did the old, read it, wait a week, and see if you're still thinking about it.

Yup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts