Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 11407 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to do cheap easy fun things to my tj, I have seen alot out there, but lets put all of our ideas on one thread. We all know about supension, regearing and all of that stuff, but what about the little things, that are just creative. Like cb radio mounts, anything custome. I will start off with what I have done, no available pictures but I will get some up ASAP. Well i mounted my cb behind the center console, I also made custom "oh sh*t" grab handles from 550 cord. I also put a cb speaker in place of my ash tray. I plan on doing some work with ammo cans, I know alot of you guys are CREATIVE so lets see what you guys have done.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I understand some mods arent very cheap, but if it is creative and hasnt been seen much, put it up anyways!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you are a fab junky.... this is what I did with some scrap I had laying around and a few bucks for pins....

DIY Quick Disconnects

-I got some 3/8" SS shaft and 1" solid stock at 2" long.
-Bored the center of the 1" stock to 3/8"... then to 1/2", but only 1.5" in.
-Got a 1/4" retaining pin for connection.

-I cut the OEM 1/4" up from the axle bushing end to give some meat to weld to.
- I then drilled into the 1/2" shaft with 3/8" bit so the cut bushing end would 'press' into the shaft prior to welding. SS shaft was cut at 1.5"

T

- I welded up all the ends... dressed them up to look decent.
-Took all the pieces to the drill press and drilled 17/64" holes at 3/4" up from bottom of 1" stock to accept the 1/4" pin with a little play for easy install.
- aligned the bushing side of the Disco and oriented correctly and marked for drilling.
- used a reamer to clean all the edges of the holes
-Reassembled and painted with satin black

-Installed and stepped back for some pics....:cool:

Now... when I disconnect.... the length of the upper portion of the disco fits PERFECT in the coil bucket cavity at the frame under a bit of tension!
HOW SWEET IS THAT!!!:action-smiley: Wasn't actually planned but I could have played it off... LOL!!!

Here is a quick poser shot on a 20" stump while camping last week.... keep in mind, I have 31's, 2" BB and STOCK shocks....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Front AND rear bumpers from scrap and about $100 in purchased materials ( this INCLUDES my swing-away carrier that is not completed yet)

Here is the front:

The rear....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Both my posts above may not be for 'everyone'... but I had a BLAST making it all come together....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hell yea, thats awesome, Your a pretty good welder, and thats exactly what im talking about. Let me know how your tire carrier comes out. My 35 in tire is about to fall off my tailgate =( not enough money to get tire carrier, so when it does fall off i guess it will ride in the tub lol. that bumper looks sweet tho. and for stock tires and only 2 inches of lift thats a nice flex.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
hell yea, thats awesome, Your a pretty good welder, and thats exactly what im talking about. Let me know how your tire carrier comes out. My 35 in tire is about to fall off my tailgate =( not enough money to get tire carrier, so when it does fall off i guess it will ride in the tub lol. that bumper looks sweet tho. and for stock tires and only 2 inches of lift thats a nice flex.

Thanks. I built the swing-away pivot point as well.... no pics of the actual swing-away yet... sorry

THIS IS NOT CHEAP AND EASY without the proper tools.. but it was a BLAST to accomplish!

1.25" hardened stock (small AC motor shaft)
Timken bearings
SS 3" stock bored to hold Timken races
Top and bottom are of mild steel and I have shims for preloading

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looking good so far. im out of state right now, but as soon as i get home ill have to take some pictures of the quick and easy yet effective things i have done. i am hoping more people post on here, im looking for ideas. I think i am going to put in round tail lights soon.

·
Registered
784 Posts
cheap revolver shift knob. a friend "found" :hide: it and gave it to me.

so I said screw it, i took a drummel to it and made it work.

I got it to fit pretty securely and it works amazingly.

I love it, better then stock.
just push down on the knob to activate the button thats usually on the side on stock shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I back fed the wiring to my 12v ignition on power plug and put another just under the defrost vent. Ran my cell charger thru the vent so I can charge and get to my phone without leaning under the dash. Has enough reach now I can talk outside the jeep if I'm parked somewhere.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
All red led interior conversion. I'll take pix with the dome lights when it gets dark enough.

OH OH OH!!! I WANT I WANT!!! Fill me in!!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Addicted said:
that red interior light setup looks really nice
Thanks. The company I bought from has 2 whites. Red. Yellow. Green. Blue. Orange. And black light.
Looks better in person. No white areas.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hey Todd, where'd you get the metal for those bumpers? I live in Smith Valley and would like to put my welder to use, but cheap metal is hard to come by out in the sticks.

1 - 20 of 11407 Posts