Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

11401 - 11407 of 11407 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Getting ready for a 1200 mile trip and wanted to make a "sleeper cab TJ" the easy way. The rear seat has already been removed and there is a rear plywood platform in the back of the TJ. I'm adding a front section to make a full-size sleeper.

I removed the front passenger seat by taking out the 4 floor bolts.

I used a 1/2 inch piece of plywood I cut down to 19" x 36". It already had the outdoor carpet glued and stapled to it. When installed the plywood overlaps the existing rear platform by about 1", sitting on the rear platform for support.

The plywood is supported by a single leg, which is 19" in length and secured with three 3" wood screws. The plywood platform is held down with a ratchet strap using the seat bolts as anchors.

The front of the plywood snugs up to the glove box and dash. I stuck a cloth in the front left corner to prevent too much damage to the dash.

Here is an REI extra large sleeping pad. This pad is thick enough I don't feel the plywood bump. Also the pad rests over the console so that also provides extra sleeping room support. I was surprised at the amount of room, both head to foot and side to side. Also this configuration was not that hard to get into via the passenger door. I'm old and have the physique and flexibility of a stalagmite and I can still manage the contortion. 😉

·
Registered
687 Posts
Great idea! I was just going to use a trailer spindle & hub but a lot of hubs are pretty thin steel. Plus I won’t have to take the flange off your way.

Thanks. I built the swing-away pivot point as well.... no pics of the actual swing-away yet... sorry

THIS IS NOT CHEAP AND EASY without the proper tools.. but it was a BLAST to accomplish!

1.25" hardened stock (small AC motor shaft)
Timken bearings
SS 3" stock bored to hold Timken races
Top and bottom are of mild steel and I have shims for preloading

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like to do cheap easy fun things to my tj, I have seen alot out there, but lets put all of our ideas on one thread. We all know about supension, regearing and all of that stuff, but what about the little things, that are just creative. Like cb radio mounts, anything custome. I will start off with what I have done, no available pictures but I will get some up ASAP. Well i mounted my cb behind the center console, I also made custom "oh sh*t" grab handles from 550 cord. I also put a cb speaker in place of my ash tray. I plan on doing some work with ammo cans, I know alot of you guys are CREATIVE so lets see what you guys have done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like to do cheap easy fun things to my tj, I have seen alot out there, but lets put all of our ideas on one thread. We all know about supension, regearing and all of that stuff, but what about the little things, that are just creative. Like cb radio mounts, anything custome. I will start off with what I have done, no available pictures but I will get some up ASAP. Well i mounted my cb behind the center console, I also made custom "oh sh*t" grab handles from 550 cord. I also put a cb speaker in place of my ash tray. I plan on doing some work with ammo cans, I know alot of you guys are CREATIVE so lets see what you guys have done.
I installed red rock lights tied in with the dome lights that are already LED. I bolted them to gun magnets and put them on the body mount by each drivers door as well as one that bolted center and front without drilling. I have an ON OFF ON switch on the way to be able to turn them on without the dome lights. Looks great and very helpful at night. 20200505_195355.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
It’s absolutely incredible that this thread is still going. Believe it or not. I still have my Jeep! The same one I bought when I started this thread! Pics to come! Did the windshield cowl intake mod recently. Along with new PRP Daily Driver Seats. I’ll post those when I get them. Thank you all for keeping this thread alive! I love it!
How do you like the crowl intake ? Any problems with sitting water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11401 - 11407 of 11407 Posts