Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen this type of thread on another forum but searched and couldn't find one for YJs, so I am started this one.

Post up your cheap, easy or fun mods to your YJs. Hopefully this will inspire other YJ owners to post their mods and/or come up with new C/E/F mods.

Here is mine, I did post this in another thread but it is both cheap and easy.

Just did a experimental lift on my YJ. I was told I could get lift by adding XJ springs to my spring packs. I got 2 sets of Cherokee rear spring packs and disassembled them. I was told to cut the main leaves and use them. But the second leaves were only an inch longer on one end than the XJ springs, so I decided to try them. We took off the springs and opened the clamps and slid the XJ leaves in the YJ packs. After reassembling the Jeep. I gained about 2 inches in the back and about an 1inch and a half in the front. I think I am going to cut the main leaves and put them in the front packs when I get a chance and see if it gets me any more lift than the one I just put in. When I did this, I did find out I will need longer shocks. But a set of shocks for a 95 Ford Ranger will bolt onto the back with no problems and are longer, thus cheaper than longer YJ shocks. YOu can use the same shocks for the front if you use the straight pin eliminators that cost around $30. But these are a one time cost and then you can run the cheaper shocks for the life of your YJ. Let me know if you need any more info on this lift.

Parts:: 2 sets of XJ springs = $0 had them lying around
Labor:: 2 meals for my helper = $12
Time:: about 6 hours

Also did the 4.0 Throttle body swap, had one lying around so it cost me nothing, and recommend it to anyone else with a 2.5L.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The cheapest mod I did to my yj was, cut the air box with my dremel. I cut the front and driver side of the box, to let the engine pull more air. The small hole in the front of the box was not enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also did the 4.0 Throttle body swap, had one lying around so it cost me nothing, and recommend it to anyone else with a 2.5L.
I keep hearing the 4.0 throttle body is a noticable upgrade. Does everybody feel this way?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep hearing the 4.0 throttle body is a noticable upgrade. Does everybody feel this way?
I know of 2 others around here that have done it and they love it too. Gonna "Port Match" the intake for even better flow when I get the chance also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What all is needed for the 4.0 throttle body swap?

How much would I be looking to spend?
I had my TB lying round from a XJ I stipped for parts. But any 4bolt 4.0 TB should swap to a 4bolt 2.5 manifold. You will need to change the "AIS?" on the side. It iis the part held on with tamper proof Torx screws. Make sure you change the whole box, not just the part that plugs in to the box. I bought a set of bits and a new TB gasket and only spent about $12. I have seen on another forum, 4bangerJP.com, one of the guys there sells stock refurbished TBs for $50 plus core. I think he goes by Bounty Hunter on the board.

How does it ride now, with the new xj springs?
I haven't noticed any real difference in the ride with the added springs. I was told to use the main leaves, but went with the second because they are only and inch or so longer than the YJ springs, so no cutting. And the 2nd leaves are tapered on the ends, so I figured it might make for a smoother ride. I may have given up about a half an inch with the ones I used over the main leaves, I was told I would get a 2in lift from those. But with the 2nds, I got about 1.5inches of lift. I may try to put the main leaves in the front and see if it levels the YJ out a little better, but that will be later.

BTW: 4cyl XJ leaf springs and 6cyl XJ springs seem to be the same. And if you wanted to go cheap, just buy 1 set of rear XJ springs and use the main leaves up front and the 2nds in the back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
jsn said:
What all is needed for the 4.0 throttle body swap?

How much would I be looking to spend?
I got my TB off of ebay for $35 w/free shipping and paid $3 for the gasket at advance auto.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Idk if people do this bit i havent seen it yet..I turned the wipers down a bit to sit lower on the windshield. Its no tj wiper conversion but its free.

·
Registered
570 Posts
SandyMushYJ said:
I did it and went back to the original. The bore on the intake manifold is the same size as the original throttle body. Makes no sense with a restriction like that. Made a cool sound though.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Took a $14 headlamp (used for hunting and camping) and cut the straps, then with adhesive backed velcro, I stuck it to the windshield frame just above and the right of the rearview mirror - instant dome light. And, using the velcro, I have an emergency flashlight if I need one.

Cheap and easy! :thumb:

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Took a $14 headlamp (used for hunting and camping) and cut the straps, then with adhesive backed velcro, I stuck it to the windshield frame just above and the right of the rearview mirror - instant dome light. And, using the velcro, I have an emergency flashlight if I need one.

Cheap and easy! :thumb:
LOL, ditto :thumb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Speaking of lighting ...

Took some $10 flexible LED's for interior lighting, cut out the cheap battery it's hooked up to and connected it to my side marker lights. I kept the push button and drilled a little opening in my dash for it ... now I have cool, white interior lighting in my YJ's dash at the push of a button. :thumb:

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Speaking of lighting ...

Took some $10 flexible LED's for interior lighting, cut out the cheap battery it's hooked up to and connected it to my side marker lights. I kept the push button and drilled a little opening in my dash for it ... now I have cool, white interior lighting in my YJ's dash at the push of a button. :thumb:
That sounds pretty neat, got a pic by chance?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sure! I'll take some pics today and post them up tomorrow. The LED's get their power when you switch on your side marker lights ... then you just have to push the button to keep them on for a while. Simple mod ... 10-15 mins tops.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts