Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I trimmed my fenders as well because free is the best kind of mod (especially when it's a functional mod).. I've since trimmed my rears as well and removed the TJ flares, just don't have a pic.

Also, for you guys who do the flush mount LED taillights, I found these little LEDs for reverse lights that are cheap and work great. Amazon.com: 2x Custom Black Anodized Aluminum 6500K Xenon White 4.5W SMD LED Eagle Eye Lamps Back Up Backup Reverse Parking Light For Car Van SUV Coupe Sedan: Automotive You can find the same ones on ebay for even less $ too, I just don't feel like searching for them lol. The LED flush mount tails are cheap on Amazon as well.. I think I paid about $25 total after shipping for the set. Just search AutoSmart.

Here's a night shot of the reverse lights with no edits/filters..

I also used a few of them under the jeep for rock lights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wanted a shadecloth bikini for my jeep so I got some shade screen for your patio doors in your house from lowes and measured inside the bars and windshield frame. I cut out the shade cloth and added a 1.5" to my measurment. Fold the extra length and stitch it together with a 2" strip of weatherproof material like boat interior is made from so it makes a loop. Then all you need is some wooden dowels or cut down fiberglass tent poles out of a dome tent. You will need to cut a half circul out of the loops to run velcro strips around the dowel rods to strap around the bars.

If you can find a friend with a jeep and they will split the cost of the shade cloth it will only be around 20 bucks each.

When I first bought my jeep back in 2002 I wanted to put more lift on it but i needed tires and only had enuff cash for 1 or the other not both. It had about 2" when I bought it and 31x12x50s and I wanted to bump it up th 33s so I put a 1" body lift on it. Cheap and easy. Gonna do the 1" motor mounts next then on to the springs.
I

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wanted a shadecloth bikini for my jeep so I got some shade screen for your patio doors in your house from lowes and measured inside the bars and windshield frame. I cut out the shade cloth and added a 1.5" to my measurment. Fold the extra length and stitch it together with a 2" strip of weatherproof material like boat interior is made from so it makes a loop. Then all you need is some wooden dowels or cut down fiberglass tent poles out of a dome tent. You will need to cut a half circul out of the loops to run velcro strips around the dowel rods to strap around the bars. If you can find a friend with a jeep and they will split the cost of the shade cloth it will only be around 20 bucks each. When I first bought my jeep back in 2002 I wanted to put more lift on it but i needed tires and only had enuff cash for 1 or the other not both. It had about 2" when I bought it and 31x12x50s and I wanted to bump it up th 33s so I put a 1" body lift on it. Cheap and easy. Gonna do the 1" motor mounts next then on to the springs. I
Could you post some pics? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Took a $14 headlamp (used for hunting and camping) and cut the straps, then with adhesive backed velcro, I stuck it to the windshield frame just above and the right of the rearview mirror - instant dome light. And, using the velcro, I have an emergency flashlight if I need one.

Cheap and easy! :thumb:
This is an awesome idea. I borrowed it from Cubby and it works real well. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
126 Posts
being a newly purchased YJ owner. This thread is freaking perfect for me. Please keep this up.
I will be buying some cans of plasti dip to have fun with.
I need a cup holder, some interior lights, speaker box/bar ideas and I realllly need an idea to get my Shifter knob to be higher an closer to me as it drills the dash and can get hard for me to reach at times.
Lighting stuff is really cool, lets please keep em coming

·
Registered
114 Posts
BTW: 4cyl XJ leaf springs and 6cyl XJ springs seem to be the same. And if you wanted to go cheap, just buy 1 set of rear XJ springs and use the main leaves up front and the 2nds in the back.
Good info to know. My factory YJ springs are saggin and need perkin up. Good thread you started.

I used a set of cheap LED lights from Kmart. Tore apart a junk computer hard drive to get the massive strong magnets out. Used E6000 craft glue to glue the magnets to the LED lights. I have a movable dome light and a work light if needed :)

Here is the "How I did it" video
Cheap DIY Dome or work light for your Jeep Wrangler - YouTube

·
Registered
405 Posts
$500 winch to mount on the front? Or a $50 "come-along" winch puller to keep in the trunk? I feel as though the come-along can do the same things, save you money, and give you a some extra arm strength :bop:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ive broken come-a-longs that way. They work ok for some things but if you are really stuck they aren't much of a help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's good to know. I'm probably end up getting a winch eventually

·
Registered
38 Posts
One of the first things my husband grabbed was a CB Speaker. Quickly found that speeds above 40mph means there is no way to hear the stock CB. Mounted it right to the center of the roll bar.

Also got a PA Speaker. It fits perfectly under the hood mounted to the fender, now we can yell at people on the road/trail. Or as my husband enjoys, blast Ride of the Valkyries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Idk if people do this bit i havent seen it yet..I turned the wipers down a bit to sit lower on the windshield. Its no tj wiper conversion but its free.
I turned my windshield wipers because my girlfriend kept bitching because she is short and go tired of trying to look around them lol

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
a pretty easy sounding upgrade I was told about was increasing the size of the yj's gas tank. Not totally sure how to do it though.
I did mine several years ago. The gas tank is actually 20 gal but there's a nozzle stuck into the top of the tank that only allows 15 gal to be put into the tank. Go to the link and see how to make the tank hold 20 gallons. Basically it's just pulling the filler neck piece out.

The only problem I have (not a problem really) is the gauge reads FULL until I'm down to 3/4 tank then it starts reading correctly. I guess it would be possible to adjust the float valve inside the tank but I never bothered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of lighting ...

Took some $10 flexible LED's for interior lighting, cut out the cheap battery it's hooked up to and connected it to my side marker lights. I kept the push button and drilled a little opening in my dash for it ... now I have cool, white interior lighting in my YJ's dash at the push of a button. :thumb:
Sounds sweeeet!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a little confused in measurement of cheap upgrade/mod. What is the actual window of "cheap" price range? There plenty of other modes that are fairly cheap. For me personally "cheap" is in range of free to 100$ per mod, so i will list few below.

1. remove both track backs front and rear, and get a telescopic track bar for front. around 80-100$ (for the telescopic track bar)
2. Rhino-liner/rustolem oil based industrial paint. - double coat whole frame and under carriage, sticks well to rust. 30$ per gallon i believe.
3. pair of new seats off junk yard for usually 100$. get electrical, hook them up, will require some drilling.
and many more others that can fit into that category of cheapness, like new bumpers and etc.

41 - 60 of 184 Posts