Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was tired of pulling leaves from my radiator. (when my wife had her Liberty in the field, it was a HUGE problem each day). I read on here about someone who used aluminum gutter guards to fab some grill guards. I searched to add my post to his, but couldn't find it. so here's mine.

I used the plastic gutter guards mostly because they were already black, and I wouldn't have to paint them. Also, they are more flexible, and I thought if they were hit by a small rock or two they wouldn't get all dinged up.

1. Remove the Grill- very easy. There are a few plastic clips to pop up with a flat head screwdriver, then remove the plastic pin and remove the plastic retainer.

2. Wipe down with clean rag- I used just a bit of degreaser to make sure the zip tie clips would stick.

3. cut guards with scissors- just regular old scissors. I cut the guards about 1" bigger all the way around so that I could bend the edges to fit over the shape of the grill slat.
http://cdn.wranglerforum.com//images/attach/jpg.gif
4. Place the zip tie clips- two between each slat. you tie two guards to each clip (except for the outer two clips on each end of the grill)
5.- Zip tie in place- tighten them slowly and in a cross patter as you would tighten the lugs on your wheel. this keeps the guard centered.
6. trim off excess zip tie- this is a particular pet pieve of mine. After 15 years in the entertainment industry, I cannot abide floppy zip tie tails.

The whole thing was probably the easiest mod I've ever done. The whol;e thing took about an hour.
You'll need one roll of gutter guard, 30 zip tie clips, and a bag of zip ties. the whol;e thing cost $15 +/-

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very nice mod. I did the same to my old durango. Didnt feel like spending hundreds in a real grill insert so I did this also. But i used the mesh with the bigger holes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
that looks really sharp! great idea!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks good, I think I'll be copying you.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Thanks for sharing this--it's going on my to-do list.

How sturdy is the adhesive on the zip tie clips? Thirty clips are a lot of potential spots for one or more of them to lose grip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks for sharing this--it's going on my to-do list.

How sturdy is the adhesive on the zip tie clips? Thirty clips are a lot of potential spots for one or more of them to lose grip.
The zip-ties seem to hold quite well. Although it's only been a couple of months since I did the 'mod', mine haven't budged at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've heard of a lot of people using super glue to put them on after they remove the adhesive backing. I think the trouble with the adhesive backing arises in the summer months when it gets really hot. I can't personally attest to this though. I haven't done the mod yet; I want to, but I can't decide exactly how i want to do it. I've seen three different methods, and they all have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I did mine same way back in september starting to see a couple come loose going to epoxy mine tonight some followed me home from work lol . Its a great cheap mod did my wifes and mine for 20 bucks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kool...

Dont have any pics...

Tried to type it out for you but its hard to explain. Will try and get u some pics.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Zipped tied mine to frame.... Used expanded metal...Though I am looking for a smaller patteren

I got mine from Lowes over where the concrete material is at. A 32" by 8 foot piece was $9.98 and was a smaller pattern and worked great. Zipped tied a large one piece to my frame also.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
The more I read this forum, the more I realize that Jeep owners are cheap and ingenious.

Somebody above posted about using epoxy. Make sure it's "plastic safe". Not all are. Been epoxying "sticky-backs" (the little plastic squares that the tie-wraps are attached to), on communications towers for years. The stuff I get at work is "mil-spec", but you can get similar stuff at hardware stores.

Use a razor blade and cut off the majority of the adhesive that is pre-stuck to the sticky back. First couple ones suck, but you get the hang of it pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The plastic mesh looks very cool :)

I tried command adhesive hooks on mine. worked well, but it didn't hold up to mud/rain/sun for long. I replaced the command adhesive strips, put em back on a second time and then put JB Weld over em.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far the "sticky Backs" are holding. I almost wonder if Hot glue would be an answer if they start peeling off. Hot glue can always be picked off if desired

1 - 20 of 157 Posts