Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 slower than a snail with a anchor tied to it needs some power booster but i am broke so i need to do it on the cheap Ideas

Remove Cat Converter and add a "test pipe" i know will pick up a few,
I also know drilling some holes in the air box (old corvette trick)

What else? Do they make a performance chip?

·
Registered
538 Posts
high flow cat, high flow muffler, 4.0 throttlebody, maybe use a dremel in intake where throttle body mounts to remove excess metal, and remove intake restrictor from airbox. Dont drill holes in airbox, that sound is more annoying than an open exhaust.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
I've always heard, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"! :eek:

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Maybe because he has the 4.0 and it does what he wants it to do...

I'd be very interested in any provable performance gains to the anemic little 4 banger on the cheap. Most of the stuff that gets suggested is just feel good stuff that doesn't produce any kind of verifiable improvement.

The 4 banger is just under powered for the weight of a Wrangler.
Trade it in on a 6 banger, swap motors or go with forced induction.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
you can spend tons of money on it, and it still isn't gonna make you smile. its a great reliable engine that lasts forever, but i'll agree with skeeter.

and some may make a few hp difference, but you'll notice it only cuz you put it on, kinda like a sugar pill. but cold air intakes are not good at all for jeeps, and cutting out the cat isn't really legal, but if you don't have to pass emissions its one thing i guess.

i've owned 4 cyl's and 4.0's, i won't buy another 4 cyl.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd be very interested in any provable performance gains to the anemic little 4 banger on the cheap. Most of the stuff that gets suggested is just feel good stuff that doesn't produce any kind of verifiable improvement.
Consumer Guide® Road-Test Evaluation
Acceleration and drivability are only adequate from the initial 6-cylinder engine; gas mileage mediocre. Meager is the word for acceleration from the 4-cylinder engine. Performance got a welcome boost from the fuel-injected six of 1991. Jeep claimed a 0-60-mph acceleration time of 9.7 seconds, versus 14.3 seconds for the old carbureted 6-cylinder engine.

using a gtech i timed mine at around 12.6 seconds 0-60 still slower than the 4.0 but faster than a 4.2 and mine will peg the speedo. Anyone in the PA,NJ,DEL area doesnt believe me is welcome to come for a ride.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
And yours is a? has had what done to it? at what cost?
And what did your numbers look like before the changes?

·
Registered
538 Posts
And yours is a? has had what done to it? at what cost?
And what did your numbers look like before the changes?

94 2.5
no cat 10 dollar pipe
thrush muffler about 30 dollars
figure a couple clamps 5 dollars
used 4.0 throttlebody from yard 20 dollars
dremel intake 1.5 hours, free
remove airbox restrictor free

i cant give you before numbers because i didnt check but struggled to maintain highway speeds. 0-60 was what seemed like forever. i think i found specs before of around 17 seconds 0-60.

oh and i have slightly larger tires of 30x9.5 on factory steelies

·
Registered
538 Posts
i dont blame you if you dont believe since so much stuff on the internet is B/S but that is why i put out the offer to take a ride, i can prove i difference in performance on the cheap.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
It would be a little difficult for me to take a ride with you unless you'd like to drive out west a bit.
I'm not trying to suggest you're lying or even mistaken, you may well have achieved a considerable performance increase at the expense of smog compliance.
Unfortunately, without constants in the testing and a good baseline we can't know what you gained. It's all speculation without the before and after numbers. If you're happy with what you have then great. Unfortunately I spent too much time as a mechanic seeing people come in to the shop claiming awesome performance increases from their little tricks to believe anything without numbers to back it. As Doc said, the placebo effect is amazing.

I drove a 4 banger for awhile and tinkered with it some but my wifes 4.0 would smoke it hands down and the lack of performance on the highway drove me nuts so I sold it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I will agree the 2.5 is alot slower than the 4.0 and that without baselines there is nothing conclusive but i know i couldnt go over about 65-70 mph before where now i can top it out and right from a start i can stay with traffic rather than hold it back.
placebo, doesnt explain raising my top speed by 30mph.
emissions compliance is for tree huggers, if we gave them everything you wouldnt be able to ride trails for fear of treading over a rare spotted mudpuppy salamander and instead would be driving a prius. i give them the finger and ill beat one with a cataltic converter.j/k

·
Registered
115 Posts
i got my airbox open here and i need to know what to cut and do to it.....any help here?

·
Registered
538 Posts
i got my airbox open here and i need to know what to cut and do to it.....any help here?
Where the intake hose connects to the airbox, there is a tube inside the opening. youll probably need a screwdriver for prying a little and a pair of plyers for pulling it out.

·
Administrator
12,546 Posts
here are some numbers to consider based on weight and hp and speed only.

The avg TJ 4 cly is 3200lbs
The avg TJ 6Cly is 3500lbs

The 4 cly needs 41.5hp to reach 55mph
The 6 Cly needs 45.4hp to reach 55mph

The 4cly needs 153hp to reach 85mph
The 6cly Needs 167.7 hp to reach 85mph

While the 6 can clearly get to highway speeds and beyond, the 4 does not have the power band to.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
here are some numbers to consider based on weight and hp and speed only.

The avg TJ 4 cly is 3200lbs
The avg TJ 6Cly is 3500lbs

The 4 cly needs 41.5hp to reach 55mph
The 6 Cly needs 45.4hp to reach 55mph

The 4cly needs 153hp to reach 85mph
The 6cly Needs 167.7 hp to reach 85mph

While the 6 can clearly get to highway speeds and beyond, the 4 does not have the power band to.
ya, i don't know of many 4 cyl's w/ 153 hp. that would have to be a gain of what, at least 30 hp right?

·
Administrator
12,546 Posts

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i think the 2.5 is right at 120 hp out of the box.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts