Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, a lot of beginning jeepers (me being one of them) are looking for do-it-yourself mods that either improve the performance or the look of their jeeps within a reasonable budget. Lets hear some ideas...

For example, I made homemade discos for the front out of adjustable hitch pins and hitch pin clips. :wavey:

·
Registered
538 Posts
some of the best ideas i get are from going to junk yards and just looking around. parts are dirt cheap so if it doesnt work i dont mind modifying to make them work. it also helps to have or use the creativity you have. also helps to know what you plan on accomplishing when done. is it a true offroader, a weekender or occasional. i stripped mine down to two seats, no carpet, started lining tub, added cb, no radio, added tow hooks, need a rear hitch, have a hilift, have straps, bungies ...i want brighter lighting and maybe rear facing fog. my plans are for a hardcore weekender but fully streetable.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys, sorry im at work so i wasnt able to get pics of my own discos, but heres a pic thats exactly like mine

and here are all the parts you need for it

and all you have to do is replace the bolt at the bottom of your sway bar links with the pin. it cost me under 10 dollars :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dude you just helped me out with those I was just unbolting mine every time my XJ had the 100 dollar kit and I was not spending that again for my YJ Thanks alot man

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no problem... the article i read said to just keep an eye on them cuz i guess after time the head of the pin will eventually wear away and get thin...but this happened like a year after the guy put them on. so when it wears away go spend another 5 dollars and make a new set :punk:

·
Registered
340 Posts
no problem... the article i read said to just keep an eye on them cuz i guess after time the head of the pin will eventually wear away and get thin...but this happened like a year after the guy put them on. so when it wears away go spend another 5 dollars and make a new set :punk:

Cons, where did you get the hardware at? what is that type of pin called the one with the holes in it.. and what size and grade (if you have this info)

thanks

sweet mod..

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got the stuff from truevalue. u can probably find it at any hardware store. i believe when i bought the pin it was labeled as an adjustable hitch pin. and they are 7/16." they only had one kinda pin like this so i dunno if they make more than one grade or not. here is the link that i found that gave me the idea.
Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

·
Registered
191 Posts
I made a hand throttle from an old schwinn 10 speed shifter and a knob from a honda junk. Total cost $11

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
What is the purpose of a handle throttle? Give it gas while you use your foot on the break?

·
Registered
340 Posts
i got the stuff from truevalue. u can probably find it at any hardware store. i believe when i bought the pin it was labeled as an adjustable hitch pin. and they are 7/16." they only had one kinda pin like this so i dunno if they make more than one grade or not. here is the link that i found that gave me the idea.
Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

thanks Cons.. i appreciate the info.. the link has all the specs needed.

2 - 2.5x7/16 clevis pins
2 - cotter pins
4 - 7/16 grade 5 or better washers

·
Registered
191 Posts
The hand throttle comes in handy for a few things! I use it on the rocks with one foot on the brake and the other bracing myself on the floor! I also use it when jump starting and when I get a winch I'll use it for that. With the wing nut I can lock it at what ever RPMs I want or loosen it so it just springs back. Plus it looks cool!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
ya just keep an eye on it...ive had mine on for a few months now and havent had any issues and my jeep is also a DD
My set went out after about 6 months and I noticed some clanking sounds. Crawled under and they were wore out. They are nice for stock jeeps but if you are going to pay money to lift it just get some real ones.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts