Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

5641 - 5660 of 5704 Posts

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
249 Posts
I did this last week and it took me all of 15 minutes, including clean up, and as mentioned on the video you don’t have to take anything apart.

I bought these because I didn‘t want to cut the factory wiring but after seeing it done, I know I’ll never go back to the way it was so it was a waste of money.

Final verdict? I wish I had done this years ago!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've never liked the white interior of the hardtop it just doesn't match the rest of the interior. My summer project was to paint the inside of the hardtop to better match the rest of the Jeep. I went through several shades of gray and a few gloss levels and finally came up with Rust-Oleum, ultracover paint + primer in Charcoal Gray with satin finish. This color and finish most closely matched to the color and shine of the rest of the interior. It took 3 cans to get full coverage of the top and freedom panels. I'm including this information in case someone else is interested in doing this as well.
Love the look of that! Did you just do this? Wondering how it's holding up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Love the look of that! Did you just do this? Wondering how it's holding up.
I did it over the summer while the soft top was on. I did the freedom panels first and then life got in the way and I wasn't able to finish the back for about a month. I've had it back on for some 4 to 5 week and it seem to be holding up fine.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I did this last week and it took me all of 15 minutes, including clean up, and as mentioned on the video you don’t have to take anything apart.

I bought these because I didn‘t want to cut the factory wiring but after seeing it done, I know I’ll never go back to the way it was so it was a waste of money.

Final verdict? I wish I had done this years ago!
A couple of quick questions:
SOME other Y/Tube video said the 1-wire method you did on your video, ONLY works the signals (together) when the lights are actually ON. Some comments say it doesn't. Can you confirm your 1-wire method works with the Jeep's lights ON or OFF? (I don't mind the alternating effect at all thou- I agree I like it better too)

And the Crown jumper harness link you bought....did you use them or not?

Reactions: Lou E

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did a similar thing. Green Jeep, green lights. also put one LED under the lip of the center console to light the shifter area - much better. The center one stays on, and the footwell ones turn on and off with the dome light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cut the cigarette lighter plug off and wired directly to the factory footwell light, the one you can barely see when it’s on. I’m really happy with how it turned out, big reward for not a lot of work or money.
Will this work if I just plug it into the center console lighter plug?

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
249 Posts
Will this work if I just plug it into the center console lighter plug?
It will work but I don’t remember if the center console goes off with the key because I never use it, have to check. If it is always on, you have the option of turning them off at the app.

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
249 Posts
A couple of quick questions:
SOME other Y/Tube video said the 1-wire method you did on your video, ONLY works the signals (together) when the lights are actually ON. Some comments say it doesn't. Can you confirm your 1-wire method works with the Jeep's lights ON or OFF? (I don't mind the alternating effect at all thou- I agree I like it better too)

And the Crown jumper harness link you bought....did you use them or not?
Have to confirm but I believe it only alternates when the lights are on, otherwise it just flashes with the turn signal. I’ll go outside in an hour or so and will check.

I did use the Crown wire and cut that because I already had it but it’s the same as the stock wire.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the wire that powers the footwell and dome lights is in a bundle by the passenger side door along the floor up under the glove box footwell area. I think it was yellow and white. I cut and spliced into it to power the footwell lights to make them work with the dome lights. There are plenty of places close to there to use as grounds for the neg. wire as well.

5641 - 5660 of 5704 Posts