Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
5721 - 5740 of 5741 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
You do realize that the USA thrives specifically because Americans buy the cheap crap from China. Our current economic system is fully dependent upon it. If everyone only bought things Made In the USA, we would quickly become a 3rd World country. Global corporations dictate who we buy from. Shaming anyone who doesn't "buy American" is, in fact, an un-American act.
Um, NO it wouldn't. Buying "Made in America", will raise the standard of living, people would make better wages. Why do you think illegal immigration has become such a hot topic? More workers, less jobs = lower wages.

Global Corps do not dictate who YOU purchase from, it's a matter of YOU deciding if you want to pay more. Myself, I always buy American when I can, yes, I do pay more, however, my experience has been I get many more years of use before I'm required to replace it.
Case in point - Kitanica, fully US made, and you WILL pay more for their kit, however, I bought a pair of their trousers back in 2013 and still wear them today, and they still look good, where 5.11's fail in less then 24 months. Kitanica's cost 4x as much, yet have lasted over 5 times longer, and will last much longer.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Case in point - Kitanica, fully US made, and you WILL pay more for their kit, however, I bought a pair of their trousers back in 2013 and still wear them today, and they still look good, where 5.11's fail in less then 24 months. Kitanica's cost 4x as much, yet have lasted over 5 times longer, and will last much longer.
You may also be interested in Triple Aught Design (TAD) cloths made in USA. I have around 10 of their pants and they are quite good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did it! I made it through all 5726 posts... again.

This was one of my go to threads when I had my '08 JKU. Now that I am back in a '18 JKU I had to take another lap as a refresher. Only took a month 🤪

Knocked out the mirror flip, hidden garage remote, shorty antenna, and made paracord handler for front, rear, and headrests. The modding itch is back and I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Triple Aught Design
I'd heard of them, checked them out, and while they are a bit less in cost, I don''t really like their style; to me, it's all about the pockets. I just recived my Kitanica IV Jacket, was on sale and ended up about $100 off.

The way you justify these things is you amortized them over the life of the gear. 5.11's last about 1/6th as long, then they start showing too much wear to be EDW for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A big "Thank you" to all you guys that posted your mods, had already done a few of them myself, had figured them out before reading them, however, the "Genius" that figured out/posted the rear view mirror trick has my undying thanks. Just wish I'd seen it before gluing my Dash Camera on the windshield.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I'd heard of them, checked them out, and while they are a bit less in cost, I don''t really like their style;
It’s definitely a personal taste thing. I like certain TAD pants because they don’t scream tactical and I can wear them to work and out and about without attracting unnecessary attention (gray man). Then I have others that I use for camping that are more tactical looking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I'm wandering around bumping in to the furniture in my daily life, I'm like a 5 year old with all the junk I'm got in my pockets. Thus the need for "more is better". As for looking "tacti-cool", there so many clowns running around with cargo nonsense on, I figure it's the new "Gray Man" outfit. Wear a bunch of cargo pockets, and a dirty t-shirt and you're not even on the board for most people.

·
Premium Member
2018JKU in Rhino (best color ever)
417 Posts
When I'm wandering around bumping in to the furniture in my daily life, I'm like a 5 year old with all the junk I'm got in my pockets. Thus the need for "more is better". As for looking "tacti-cool", there so many clowns running around with cargo nonsense on, I figure it's the new "Gray Man" outfit. Wear a bunch of cargo pockets, and a dirty t-shirt and you're not even on the board for most people.
My younger coworkers have informed me that the approved dad uniform is cargo pants, a carhartt shirt and some converse chuck taylors.

Apparently I’ve been a dad over twenty years…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got some stock Sahara wheels real cheap from a buddy that couldn’t offload them and needed to get rid of them to move. Sprayed them gunmetal gray. Gonna install them tomorrow. But I think they’re a good step up from my stock sport wheels. And I’ve seen these same wheels on FB for less that $300
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got some stock Sahara wheels real cheap from a buddy that couldn’t offload them and needed to get rid of them to move. Sprayed them gunmetal gray. Gonna install them tomorrow. But I think they’re a good step up from my stock sport wheels. And I’ve seen these same wheels on FB for less that $300 View attachment 4522926 View attachment 4522927
Nice..

I was trying to do the same thing and use them to build an Off-Road trailer. Drove 5 1/2 hours to pick up 5 tires and rims. Once I go there, the guy had under posted the tires and rims. They do fit a Jeep, however, they are 35's and the tread is almost new; someone rear ended him and totaled his jeep. Looks like it was about $2500 in tires and rims.

Since he only wanted $350 for the lot, I sucked it up and bought them.. Now I've got to find someone to do the gears in my diffs, because these baby's sure aren't going on my Trailer.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
By all means, if that’s what it takes to not stand out in your city. Sounds like you live in Fresno. Have you considered a man purse?

Reactions: dgsimick

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Nice..

I was trying to do the same thing and use them to build an Off-Road trailer. Drove 5 1/2 hours to pick up 5 tires and rims. Once I go there, the guy had under posted the tires and rims. They do fit a Jeep, however, they are 35's and the tread is almost new; someone rear ended him and totaled his jeep. Looks like it was about $2500 in tires and rims.

Since he only wanted $350 for the lot, I sucked it up and bought them.. Now I've got to find someone to do the gears in my diffs, because these baby's sure aren't going on my Trailer.
That is a steal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
By all means, if that’s what it takes to not stand out in your city. Sounds like you live in Fresno. Have you considered a man purse?
I do own a Messenger bag, however, I normally only carry it in the vehicle while on travel; Laptop, extra Mags, and backup Glock, etc.

While I have been to Fresno, I live if the Great Dust Bowl of New Mexico for now.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I'm still looking for the "got cha", however, since I'm normally a person that does the same type of thing, I guess it's Karma. Right now I'm asking my friends if they need the tires, will trade for to them 275's or so.
I’ve got some toyo 33s I’d trade ya if you’re near Austin

5721 - 5740 of 5741 Posts