1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed these are more for when you have a separate low and high beam. However, I have a LED light bar I use for my high beams so I could get away with using these as the low beams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any LED bulb use with stock wiring and housings are going to have a slight flicker to them.. trust me, I was cheap and tried those same bulbs.

I then went Trucklite LED for the headlights ($334 shipped for the pair on eBay, + $60 for anti-flicker harnesses) and they are awesome. You will end up going that way, trust me. LED lighting needs to be in a housing meant for LED too or else the beam pattern will suck.

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts
The reflectors are designed for the light being emitted from the same location as a halogen bulb. I have no idea how the "projector" style housings would work with an LED retrofit style lamp.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's wondering if anyone has used a pair of these to replace the stock headlight bulbs in their JK? For $20 I figured it might be worth a shot but thought I'd ask around first. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381095247406
I didn't keep my receipts for mine (they were from Lifetime LED....Ha!), but if you get some and they look like these.....send them back.

The low beams failed in 3 months and the high beams just failed after 8 months! I drive 25k miles per yr. Chinese junk.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't keep my receipts for mine (they were from Lifetime LED....Ha!), but if you get some and they look like these.....send them back. The low beams failed in 3 months and the high beams just failed after 8 months! I drive 25k miles per yr. Chinese junk.
Yup... I have seen those and they do look failure prone. Didn't like the idea of a fan for cooling for starters. My first thought was "what happens if I go in deep water?"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are you set on getting LED's? I have xenon HID bulbs and I haven't had a problem with them. Love the brightness and color. Uses the factory wiring so it's relatively cheap, only thing you will need is the decoder harness to make sure you don't have flickering or abnormal output. Ordered my kit from vvme.com. It's also nice that the ballast is waterproof in their kits

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you set on getting LED's? I have xenon HID bulbs and I haven't had a problem with them. Love the brightness and color. Uses the factory wiring so it's relatively cheap, only thing you will need is the decoder harness to make sure you don't have flickering or abnormal output. Ordered my kit from vvme.com. It's also nice that the ballast is waterproof in their kits
I thought about HID bulbs but I heard they don't do as well in standard headlamp housings. Do you have any pictures of your set up? Plus what kit did you get from vvme.com, they have a ton on there for H13 bulbs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought about HID bulbs but I heard they don't do as well in standard headlamp housings. Do you have any pictures of your set up? Plus what kit did you get from vvme.com, they have a ton on there for H13 bulbs.
I haven't heard of anyone going with just LED bulb replacement, everyone I know who is just looking for a bulb replacement has gone HID. People going to LED's will often go with a full headlight replacement such as the trucklite as previously suggested. I went with the standard kit, 35 watt 12 volt 8k temp.

image-2098362851.jpg

The headlights are just as bright as those above it, it was just the angle the picture was taken at

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't heard of anyone going with just LED bulb replacement, everyone I know who is just looking for a bulb replacement has gone HID. People going to LED's will often go with a full headlight replacement such as the trucklite as previously suggested. I went with the standard kit, 35 watt 12 volt 8k temp. The headlights are just as bright as those above it, it was just the angle the picture was taken at
Looks good! And you still both high beam and low beam function?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks good! And you still both high beam and low beam function?
No high beams that's just one bulb, I've never had a problem though considering those are much brighter with just low beam than the factory bulbs are with the high beams on. But I also don't have a lack of lights on the front haha. I know they offer a bulb that is low beam regular bulb, and high beam HID. Just giving you options available.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No high beams that's just one bulb, I've never had a problem though considering those are much brighter with just low beam than the factory bulbs are with the high beams on. But I also don't have a lack of lights on the front haha. I know they offer a bulb that is low beam regular bulb, and high beam HID. Just giving you options available.
Ok, I am working on hooking my aux lights to my high beam switch now as it is, so low beam only wouldn't be that big of a deal for me either. Of course, that's also what I was thinking of doing with the LED bulbs I posted originally... Lots of choices I guess...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok, I am working on hooking my aux lights to my high beam switch now as it is, so low beam only wouldn't be that big of a deal for me either. Of course, that's also what I was thinking of doing with the LED bulbs I posted originally... Lots of choices I guess...
Definitely many choices out there, just from my experience and basing my opinion on bulb replacement only, HID's are the way to go

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The problem with the HID and LED bulbs is that generate a different and non-uniform light source pattern unlike the halogen bulbs.You can generate a reflector for this type of light source as in the case of TruckLites but the non-uniformity still leads to artifacts and a shallow beam pattern. The LED and particularly the HID bulbs generate a lot more light than the halogen bulbs so you get the impression they are better when in reality you just get a scattered beam pattern.

Read some of the threads on this subject.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem with the HID and LED bulbs is that generate a different and non-uniform light source pattern unlike the halogen bulbs.You can generate a reflector for this type of light source as in the case of TruckLites but the non-uniformity still leads to artifacts and a shallow beam pattern. The LED and particularly the HID bulbs generate a lot more light than the halogen bulbs so you get the impression they are better when in reality you just get a scattered beam pattern. Read some of the threads on this subject.
So... You are saying that all the auto manufacturers of high end vehicles that use HID and LED bulbs are getting it wrong? :D In all seriousness, I think what you are saying has merit and the style of headlamp housing is a critical factor in the proper projection of HID/LED light. I just hate the idea of paying $300+ for headlamps.For now I think I'll just pick up some SilverStar Ultra bulbs and call it a day...

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's wondering if anyone has used a pair of these to replace the stock headlight bulbs in their JK? For $20 I figured it might be worth a shot but thought I'd ask around first. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381095247406
LED or HID are horrible in the snow unless they have the correct housing...how do I know? I had to turn all of my lights but my fogs to get home in a white out the other week....

id rather have the regular stock bulbs in the winter

·
Registered
296 Posts
LED or HID are horrible in the snow unless they have the correct housing...how do I know? I had to turn all of my lights but my fogs to get home in a white out the other week.... id rather have the regular stock bulbs in the winter
no experience with that..65 in Florida right now!

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts
So... You are saying that all the auto manufacturers of high end vehicles that use HID and LED bulbs are getting it wrong? :D In all seriousness, I think what you are saying has merit and the style of headlamp housing is a critical factor in the proper projection of HID/LED light. I just hate the idea of paying $300+ for headlamps.For now I think I'll just pick up some SilverStar Ultra bulbs and call it a day...
Those HID's and LED's are designed and built with their projectors, etc. to work properly. An HID or LED in a housing designed for a Halogen bulb doesn't get the same results...

If you want a lamp replacement, use the Philips X-Treme Power lamp, they easily outperform the Sylvania's.

Evilbay has them for like $22.

New Philips H13 9008 x Treme Power Headlight Bulb 2 Pack 12V | eBay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts