Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No such thing as a budget boost for a yj
Also 33's really need 4.5" if you plan to leave the pavement

There's really nothing budget about 33's.... the stock gearing is sooooo bad for em....

If on a budget stick with smaller tires..... 30's with a 1.25" body lift only have 1.5" less clearance under the diffs than 33's do and you won't take near as bad of a hit on power loss

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
If you're gonna run with the Big Dogs, you haftta be a Big Dog. Otherwise, you get run over.

Sometimes you have to build up to being a BD.
I suggest you start out with what you can afford and work up to the next level.

Don't feel bad, we all have champaign tastes but a beer budget. Only a very lucky few can go out and just buy what they want. Gottagofast offers some good advice.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I ran a 3.5" lift and a transfer case drop on my jeep for several years before i did a SYE and swapped my 3.07's out for 4.10's. You really need gears though life will be miserable with 33's and stock gears they are more expensive and important than the lift it's self. Unless to have a lot of disposable income and can do everything at once it's better to have the jeep as a toy and buy a daily driver.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ran a 3.5" lift and a transfer case drop on my jeep for several years before i did a SYE and swapped my 3.07's out for 4.10's. You really need gears though life will be miserable with 33's and stock gears they are more expensive and important than the lift it's self. Unless to have a lot of disposable income and can do everything at once it's better to have the jeep as a toy and buy a daily driver.
+1 big time!

I'm running 33/12.5 on my 94 YJ with the stock 3.07 gears and it's an absolute dog. I can't really even drive it on the highway. I mean, I technically can, but it doesn't feel safe, and there's NO power left.

Right now, changing out the gears to 4.10s is about third or fourth on the list of priorities. Only reason I'm keeping these tires and changing the gears is because my wife likes them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely learning a lot from you guys. Much appreciated. I guess I never realized how many other things need to be change when adding a lift. My jeep is just a hobby and not knowing much about working on them I figured it would be a fun adventure. Is there many adjustments to add a 1.5" body lift to start out and maybe adding shackles?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there many adjustments to add a 1.5" body lift to start out and maybe adding shackles?
Yes.

I thought they already told you about pinion angles, but perhaps that was someone else. Regardless, shackle lifts are not your friend.

Now, many here post about the boomerang shackles, but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The body lift will be 1.25"... do a 1" motor mount lift at the same time and then there is very little else to address....

DO NOT do a shackle lift.... possibly some shims to point the rear pinion up a touch but probably not needed

When you can afford it you can slap on some 2 1/2" springs and shocks with most likely no other mods.... net lift 3.75" and a very nice setup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts