Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather getting colder and many people laid off or otherwise, does anyone have any good "cheap" mods to kill some time in the garage? There is only so much moving things around in the garage I can do before I need to do some actual work out there.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
not really a mod, but I know if I had a garage I'd be bustin' rust and paint/spray as needed under mine. The last time I was under my jeep I was surprised how much rust there was but it was too hot to worry about. Now it's too cold.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id really like to POR 15 my frame but I guess to do it right Id have to jerk the body off and Ive never done that...

·
Registered
376 Posts
cleaning / POR-15 the frame is a good idea. You don't have to take the body off. Just get to everything that is exposed. I am tackling this project in a week or two.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
The rearview mirror flip is the cheapest mod. Drilling the side mirrors is cheap if you own a drill.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
cleaning / POR-15 the frame is a good idea. You don't have to take the body off. Just get to everything that is exposed. I am tackling this project in a week or two.
POR15ing the frame is also a good excuse to do a 1" body lift:
"I had to lift the body to paint the top of the frame and when I lifted it the body mounts were so bad I had to replace them..."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
put the round lights on last year, found 50 some leds in each for around 40 bucks on ebay but once you put leds in the jeep thinks a lights burned out and blinks really fast. I forgot where I found it but you can do a simple mod on your flasher relay to make it blink normally, that involves just making a slice in the printed circuit board inside the flasher. super easy and no annoying quick flash. Also the more leds generally mean the brighter the light, Its almost blinding how bright these things are...

·
Registered
111 Posts
jeep7797 said:
put the round lights on last year, found 50 some leds in each for around 40 bucks on ebay but once you put leds in the jeep thinks a lights burned out and blinks really fast. I forgot where I found it but you can do a simple mod on your flasher relay to make it blink normally, that involves just making a slice in the printed circuit board inside the flasher. super easy and no annoying quick flash. Also the more leds generally mean the brighter the light, Its almost blinding how bright these things are...
Yeah I found this here is the part pic hope this helps notice it says led it will fix flasher problem

Attachments

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
nick50471 said:
The rearview mirror flip is the cheapest mod. Drilling the side mirrors is cheap if you own a drill.
Drill a small hole in the bottom of your side mirrors so when it rains or you wash it the water will drain out and not run down and streak your doors.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yeah I found this here is the part pic hope this helps notice it says led it will fix flasher problem

If you use that with your stock lights....with they become super slow? :D

I'ma do the tail lights as well once i pick up a hole saw, and have the guts to cut into the tub :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
ParaCAD said:
If you use that with your stock lights....with they become super slow? :D

I'ma do the tail lights as well once i pick up a hole saw, and have the guts to cut into the tub :D
Very true another thing is make a cut out of card board and measure 2 or even 3 times make sure u keep the whole saw lubed and I am going to use the oem plug off my old lights so I can have a quick connect and going with white lens red bulbs I will put pics up when I do it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drilling out the tub was the easy part, you can always pick up some diamond plate corners to hide any imperfections. Just make sure you take your time and measure a few times. Also, when doing the wiring, I hate just crimp on connectors, I always solder and heatshrink everything. Even the heatshrink butt connectors are better but I'd still rather solder and heatshrink stuff...

·
Registered
111 Posts
jeep7797 said:
Drilling out the tub was the easy part, you can always pick up some diamond plate corners to hide any imperfections. Just make sure you take your time and measure a few times. Also, when doing the wiring, I hate just crimp on connectors, I always solder and heatshrink everything. Even the heatshrink butt connectors are better but I'd still rather solder and heatshrink stuff...
Did u use a 4 1/2" hole saw? I need one and don't want to pay 30$ for a tool I will only use 2 times

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no, just used a cut off wheel on die grinder because I didnt want to but a hole saw. But be real careful that flange isnt real big to cover any mistakes you might make.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Another own I found is when highbeams are on fog lights stay on
That one is simple and easy to do. Just did it the other day and doesn't cost anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts