Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was no way I was going to fork out $75-$250 for an overhead CB mount, so we went to Home Depot and spent $50 on some square and flat aluminum bars, some hardware, and BAM! TWO CB Overhead Mounts for the price of one! Do it yourself folks, its too easy. :dance:

I can share the details if you would like.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Your pics aren't very descriptive? Would you mind sharing what matrials you bought and how you put them together?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Details please.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hold on, detailed write up coming in a bit... getting everything together now :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad we migrated over to the UHF radios - much smaller and easier to mount! All my controls are on the mic, and the main unit is about the size of 2 cigarette packs side by side so is mounted up under the steering column!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Glad we migrated over to the UHF radios - much smaller and easier to mount! All my controls are on the mic, and the main unit is about the size of 2 cigarette packs side by side so is mounted up under the steering column!
Just because I'm in the middle of studying for my Tech HAM license, and this response caught my attention... Don't the UHF radio's require a license? Or am I confusing things?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Materials: (this list is enough for two mounts)

one 8' long 1"x1" aluminum hollow aluminum square rod
one flat aluminum bar 1" wide (I think 3' long?)
four 5/8" diameter hex head bolts and self-locking nuts, washers (bolts need to be long enough to fit through holes for Freedom Top retaining pins)
four 1/4" diameter screws and self-locking nuts, washers (we bought the shortest ones we could find that will hold two pieces of 1/8" aluminum with a lock nut)
one can of Rustoleum flat black heavy duty paint (the stuff used for BBQ grills, etc)
Sandpaper

Tools:
Dremel with cutting and grinding bits (or other more appropriate cutting and grinding tools)
Drill with bits
Hand files
Screwdrivers, Sockets, Wrenches, etc.

1. Cut the square 1"x1" bar down to 44" in length. hand file or grind the edges smooth, and sand all surfaces that paint will be applied to. This will be the supporting beam of your CB mount,which will sit between your roll bars with just enough room to route wires later.

2. Cut two 4.5" long pieces from the flat aluminum bar. File and sand pieces. These will be the "bracket" pieces which mount to the roll bar where the Freedom Top retaining pins normally go.

3. Measure out 1/2" from each edge of the flat aluminum and drill a centered 5/8" hole on one side. Drill a 1/4" hole on the other side. Repeat for other "bracket" piece.

4. Attach brackets to roll bar with bolt. You don't need to tighten it all the way. Have a friend assist in lining up the 1"x1" bar underneath the brackets on each end. Be sure to center the bar so that there is a small gap on either side. Use a sharpie to mark the hole locations.

5. Drill two 1/4" holes into the 1"x1" bar you just marked. Be careful to only drill through ONE side.

6. Mount the bracket ends to the main bar with a screw, washer, and self-locking nut. You may apply loctite to the threads.

7. Check the fit on your Jeep. If all is well, you may center your CB radio bracket on the bottom face of the mount; this will be the face OPPOSITE of where the brackets are mounted. Most come with self tapping screws, so mark your holes and carefully install the screw.

8. Cut a square block out of the BACK of the mount, centered above the radio bracket. This will need to be big enough to route your cables through, with a little room to spare. File the rough edges as much as possible.

9. Spray paint that bad boy! Follow directions on can.

For Freedom Top users: You will need to drill another hole into your roll bar in order to install this mount. No biggie, my fiance drilled his just a bit in front of the stock holes.

Finished Product (Don't mind the paint scratches, they are getting fixed later)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using this with the CoolTech Gatemount, a 4' Firestik Firefly, routed directly to battery. Very clean setup, no wires can be seen except for what is coming out of the back of the unit! We routed the antenna as explained in the Gatemount instructions, and ran the coax under the carpet along the right side of the Jeep, up the roll bar, and into the CB mount. The CB power runs out of the mount, down the front right corner roll bar, behind the plastic panels and through the firewall to the battery. Really simple.

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
SeaComms said:
Which radio do you have? 75?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I meant to add, if you plan on having the top up, you will also have to drill new holes to accommodate the plastic door pieces for the soft top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts