Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2012 dozer wife want to go with black rims I love the look and would fine with steel rims, but I thought of painting the aluminum rims. Has any one here had any luck doing that? Pics? I assume I would have to rough them up, primer, then paint. Would I have adhesion problems? Or should I just stop being cheap and buy rims when it time to do tires? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Search the plasti-dip thread.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
A few on the forum have had theirs powdercoated. Will be more durable than plastidip. Heard the range was $80-$100 each depending on where you are.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A can of plasti-dip is about $7 at my local Home Depot. I used 3 cans for 5 wheels but should have done more. (Fellow cheap SOB.)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Before switching wheels, I did Plasti-dip. It's "OK" but to me, it wasn't all that it was hyped up to be with 3 coats of that stuff. I would guess 6 would be ideal.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably do spray on bed liner on them. Might even cost less due to the low coverage rate of plasti-dip and needing so much of it to get a good coat on.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I masked off the rim of the wheels & dipped the spokes.
It looks decent for stock & will stay until these tires are worn out & I upgrade from the stock 18's to a good 16 w/duratracs next year.
The stuff peels right off if you do not like it whereas bedliner will take much more effort & use of solvent if you change your mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts