Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth dropping cash on expensive springs or not?

I want to do different brands for each component, let me know how it looks:

Springs: Teraflex for 3 Inch lift front & rear
Shocks: Rancho RS7000MT or RS5000X if they're back in stock :(
Bumpstop Extensions: Zone
Front and Rear Sway Bar Links: Zone
Front Track Bar Relocation: Zone
Rear Track Bar Relocation: n/a
or
Front Track Bar: Freedom Offroad (not sure about this one)
Rear Track Bar: Steinjager

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
Is it worth dropping cash on expensive springs or not?

I want to do different brands for each component, let me know how it looks:

Springs: BDS for 3 Inch lift front & rear
Shocks: RS5000X
Bumpstop Extensions: Zone universal (lower pad)
Front and Rear Sway Bar Links: Zone
Front Track Bar Relocation: do not do this, it will induce bump steer
Rear Track Bar Relocation: Zone rear track bar relocation bracket
or
Front Track Bar: Currie, JKS, MC in that order. none of the other brands have been proven to work without other modifications
Rear Track Bar: see above brands but the bracket works fine unless you're going with a tummy tuck and sye/cv drive shaft
a few modifications

·
Registered
982 Posts
Re-read what Jed said about the front track bar.

Don’t believe us? Spend the next 4 months reading this thread and learn why

TLDR: all track bars besides Currie, JKS, and Metalcloak have not been proven to clear the front diff under suspension compression. Many are shown in that thread to either contact the diff under normal driving, or require excessive bump stop to avoid it, negating the gains of your lift.

JJVW recently removed his Metalcloak bar, due to excessive wear on the heim joint.

I’ve got a JKS now, and would do the offset Currie instead if I did it over again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Teraflex coils dont hold up to weight and sag over time. Not a great riding coil either. If you replace your rear sway bar links you can simply move the rear to the front. No need to buy new fronts. People like those shocks but I have never run them. Steinjager is junk. Cheap joints and smaller tubes. You will not relocate the front track bar unless you are doing a drag link flip. You do a drag link flip at 3.5"+ of lift. Raising the rear is fine. You just want an adjustable link up front.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a few modifications
Why BDS over Teraflex?

TLDR: all track bars besides Currie, JKS, and Metalcloak have not been proven to clear the front diff under suspension compression. Many are shown in that thread to either contact the diff under normal driving, or require excessive bump stop to avoid it, negating the gains of your lift.

JJVW recently removed his Metalcloak bar, due to excessive wear on the heim joint.

I’ve got a JKS now, and would do the offset Currie instead if I did it over again.
Thank you guys for the inputs, as you have probably guessed I'm a beginner and have no strong feelings one way or another on the track bar situation.

Teraflex coils dont hold up to weight and sag over time. Not a great riding coil either. If you replace your rear sway bar links you can simply move the rear to the front. No need to buy new fronts. People like those shocks but I have never run them. Steinjager is junk. Cheap joints and smaller tubes. You will not relocate the front track bar unless you are doing a drag link flip. You do a drag link flip at 3.5"+ of lift. Raising the rear is fine. You just want an adjustable link up front.
So the rear sway bar links are about the same length as what I need in the front when it's lifted? What springs would you recommend? I thought teraflex at $422 before taxes, front and rear, would be a good choice. I guess it's overpriced? I only choose steinjager and freedom offroad because I had a hard time finding what I was looking for.

Before anyone says anything, this is for an currently stock 06 LJ 6 cylinder 6 speed 3.73s with the d44 rear, d30 front. I'm doing rust removal and a 3 inch lift, 33/12.5/15 tires, wheels are gonna be steel with 3.75 inches backspacing. I'm getting the spline for the speedo and a 4.56 regear at some point. Was quoted 2000 for regear by one shop, haven't called any other places so far but I'm willing to dish out the money. I also want to restore the rear oem limited slip tracloc which I assume is worn out now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes the rear factory sway bar links are longer, move them to the front. Metal Cloak, synergy, clayton, currie, for coils. I would not go with BDS, they are just another cheap lift company that buys bulk from China. LJ sway bars would be the same as what you get for a TJ. Should not be hard to find. Personally I build my own for less then half what you buy them for. A component shop could build you any link you need.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
i don’t know much about tj’s but the ones i have been around don’t look like you can swap swaybar links back to front as they are completely different design.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly I'm probably just gonna buy the sway bar links new because they're $40 from zone. I'd be more than happy buying springs from Currie or Metalcoak, I just have problems finding the parts. I need it for a 3 inch lift, I'm trying to stuff 33s with a minimum lift.

Yes the rear factory sway bar links are longer, move them to the front. Metal Cloak, synergy, clayton, currie, for coils. I would not go with BDS, they are just another cheap lift company that buys bulk from China. LJ sway bars would be the same as what you get for a TJ. Should not be hard to find. Personally I build my own for less then half what you buy them for. A component shop could build you any link you need.
I've never heard of a shop building the parts from scratch, I would like to reduce the cost of the lift as much as possible though.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
Honestly I'm probably just gonna buy the sway bar links new because they're $40 from zone. I'd be more than happy buying springs from Currie or Metalcoak, I just have problems finding the parts. I need it for a 3 inch lift, I'm trying to stuff 33s with a minimum lift.

I've never heard of a shop building the parts from scratch, I would like to reduce the cost of the lift as much as possible though.
most shops have a minimum of shop time and that is usually 1/2-1 hour min so at $100-125 per hour shop time I am not sure where most places building them would save you money. If you have your own shop and the ability that is a whole different matter but most don't.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is Rock Jock the same thing as Currie? I'm looking at sets front and rear 3 inches $190 each. Not bad at all. Not looking to lift any higher, I'm only doing 3 inches because it's an LJ. If it was a TJ I would do 2 inches suspension 1 body.

I found a JKS front adjustable track bar for 171...another win

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Is Rock Jock the same thing as Currie? I'm looking at sets front and rear 3 inches $190 each. Not bad at all. Not looking to lift any higher, I'm only doing 3 inches because it's an LJ. If it was a TJ I would do 2 inches suspension 1 body.

I found a JKS front adjustable track bar for 171...another win
Rock Jock is the new name for the old Currie suspension stuff.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

Metalcloak is a mid level company, at best.

I've been building mine for quite a while and have watched many others along the way. You usually get what you pay for. Understanding how to fit it all together matters just as much. If you want stuff that works very well and lasts a long time, all roads lead to Currie/RockJock and Savvy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ordered Rancho RS5000X shocks for 2-3 inches lift, before they got sold out again, but haven't bought anything else yet. It's gonna be rockjock 3 inch springs, with zone 3 inch lift sway bars because I figured I wouldn't have enough lift for nice adjustable sets with discos unless I added a body lift. Zone 3 inch bumpstop extensions. JKS front and rear, track bar/track bar relocation respectively. That is IT, please chime in on additional parts, I'm more than willing to pay. This does not include all the stuff unrelated to the suspension like 15x8 aftermarket wheels with the right backspacing, 31 spline speedo gear, 4.56 regear.

Metalcloak is a mid level company, at best.

I've been building mine for quite a while and have watched many others along the way. You usually get what you pay for. Understanding how to fit it all together matters just as much. If you want stuff that works very well and lasts a long time, all roads lead to Currie/RockJock and Savvy.

I'd sell my grandma for a set of rock jock axles....just kidding :eek:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've ordered Rancho RS5000X shocks for 2-3 inches lift, before they got sold out again, but haven't bought anything else yet. It's gonna be rockjock 3 inch springs, with zone 3 inch lift sway bars because I figured I wouldn't have enough lift for nice adjustable sets with discos unless I added a body lift. Zone 3 inch bumpstop extensions. JKS front and rear, track bar/track bar relocation respectively. That is IT, please chime in on additional parts, I'm more than willing to pay. This does not include all the stuff unrelated to the suspension like 15x8 aftermarket wheels with the right backspacing, 31 spline speedo gear, 4.56 regear.

I'd sell my grandma for a set of rock jock axles....just kidding :eek:
If you are willing to pay, then all roads lead to Currie/Rock Jock and Savvy. Skip the Zone and JKS stuff. It isn't comparable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well to be 100% honest I just want a nice looking LJ that's smooth enough at 65, can use 6th gear fully, and can do mild offroading. I stress the mild part. I like the current level of power I have with 3.73s and bald 30s so I'm regearing 6 months after I lift. It's a pavement princess. Later on, maybe in a few years, I'll throw down money on my TJ for a real offroad setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts