Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over my Jeep pretty carefully today. As others have reported, with not quite 600 miles on the odometer, I found the power steering reservoir to be quite low. Thus, I bought a quart of ATF+4 to bring the fluid level up to between the minimum and maximum marks on the jar.

Is anyone else struck by just how much plastic there is under the hood? 25 years from now, will all of this plastic be brittle, deteriorating, and in need of replacement? To me, this scenario seems a bit contrary to the concept of the ruggedness of a Jeep. I must admit, I am just a bit disappointed.

I also was surprised that the Wrangler no longer is equipped with either an oil pressure gauge or a voltmeter. Although I have added a pair of AutoMeter gauges that just about match the others in the car, there is a small part of me that thinks I should not have to DIY to have a decently instrumented Jeep. What do others think, has Chrysler "made the Jeep cheap?"

·
Registered
892 Posts
All new vehicles have a ton of plastic under the hood. I think the biggest letdown of the JK is the paper thin sheet metal on the body. Compare to a previous gen TJ and you will find they had thicker panels.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thin sheet metal is used for weight savings (MPGs) as well as pedestrian safety (for real). Does not really bother me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
garyr1909 said:
I was looking over my Jeep pretty carefully today. As others have reported, with not quite 600 miles on the odometer, I found the power steering reservoir to be quite low. Thus, I bought a quart of ATF+4 to bring the fluid level up to between the minimum and maximum marks on the jar.

Is anyone else struck by just how much plastic there is under the hood? 25 years from now, will all of this plastic be brittle, deteriorating, and in need of replacement? To me, this scenario seems a bit contrary to the concept of the ruggedness of a Jeep. I must admit, I am just a bit disappointed.

I also was surprised that the Wrangler no longer is equipped with either an oil pressure gauge or a voltmeter. Although I have added a pair of AutoMeter gauges that just about match the others in the car, there is a small part of me that thinks I should not have to DIY to have a decently instrumented Jeep. What do others think, has Chrysler "made the Jeep cheap?"
Just playing devils advocate but look under the hood of a 25 year old jeep and you'll see plenty of rust,and ill take modern electronics over a voltmeter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just playing devils advocate but look under the hood of a 25 year old jeep and you'll see plenty of rust,and ill take modern electronics over a voltmeter
Yep.

I'd say Jeep has done nothing out of the ordinary.

Across the board, with all manufacturers of all things doing the same, I'd consider it a bit sad.

Then I just go look at my new JK and the sadness subsides.

:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
They don't build em like they used to................ Thank god!

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
thing that bugs me is they don't come with a real owners manual. You have to call to get one if you don't call in the first year you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thing that bugs me is they don't come with a real owners manual. You have to call to get one if you don't call in the first year you have to pay for it.
Really?

What's that book thing, that came in that canvas cover thing, that doesn't fit very well in the glovebox?

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Really?

What's that book thing, that came in that canvas cover thing, that doesn't fit very well in the glovebox?
I think that is called the user guide. the owners manual is about 3" thick and has over 640 pages and won't fit in the canvas cover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was one of the first things I noticed. Went back to the dealer and asked them if they forgot to put one in there, but was advised about ordering one. I know with all this technology nobody knows what a book is anymore, but I still like the paper manuals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you call the dealership where you purchased the Jeep, or someone at "corporate?" Do you mind sharing the phone # and point of contact information, if you ordered it (for free) from Chrysler corporate? I would really love to have the paper manual for my '12.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 JKU Sahara 2.5” AEV lift with geo brackets steering stabilizer Warn winch & K&N cool air intake
1,772 Posts
Here's the number to call. 1-877-847-7166
Great bathroom reading material.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
the number is in owners guide I beleive it is a 1-800 # and is the same as the customer service number. You have to be original owner and call with in the 1st year and it is free otherwise they charge.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I was typing while the above post was posted so call that number too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nothing lasts forever. No matter what it's made of, it will deteriorate. Metal, plastic, he'll even humans die. However, if you take care of your jeep and it will last you a pretty long time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that is called the user guide. the owners manual is about 3" thick and has over 640 pages and won't fit in the canvas cover.

OH!

Well thank you very much! Yeah, that's definitely NOT what I was talking about.

Will call and get mine!

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts