Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my Jeep. After looking through reviews online, it seems the only way to get a half door that is waterproof is to buy OEM. But on the rare occasion you find one that actually matches the Jeep, they are either too expensive ($1000+ for a set of ten-year old doors?) or they beat to hell.

Is there a cheaper option?

·
Registered
588 Posts
A set of used half doors is seriously going for $1000? That is crazy! Do you have the full doors? If so you should be able to find someone to swap with you. You get their halfs and they get your fulls. No money needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a company that makes tubular doors and u can buy a steel cover to make them look like actual half doors, but the name of that company escapes me. I think both sets run around $500

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do the half doors do in the winter? I fear they would let a lot of cold in, and my wife gets the garage when its cold.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a company that makes tubular doors and u can buy a steel cover to make them look like actual half doors, but the name of that company escapes me. I think both sets run around $500
Best Top Element doors is probably what you're thinking of. People seem to say they leak, which nullifies the entire purpose of the door for me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn't say that the fabric uppers of half doors let in more cold than the rest of the soft top does. The issue is constantly having to unzip the window and trying to put the window flap into place while you're driving. That's why I run full doors or no doors.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't say that the fabric uppers of half doors let in more cold than the rest of the soft top does. The issue is constantly having to unzip the window and trying to put the window flap into place while you're driving. That's why I run full doors or no doors.
My reason for wanting the half door is because it can be fairly chilly in the morning (~40F) and then get nice in the afternoon. I'd like to go to work in the morning and not freeze, but then be able to take the doors and the top off for the drive home at night. Full doors won't for in the back, I believe half doors will. At the very least, you can take the top half off and throw it in the back.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
How do the half doors do in the winter? I fear they would let a lot of cold in, and my wife gets the garage when its cold.
They are fine, they are not drafty and you have a good heater.

As far as overnight, all vehicles reach ambient temp inside.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you considered full soft doors? The are two part so you can take the top portion off and leave the bottom portion on if you are against going doorless. You can run your full doors in the winter and the soft doors in the summer.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Gotta look around. I got my doors for $350. A little banged up but nothing I can't straighten out.

OEM doors are better than plastic or fabric no matter how you look at it... Except price maybe... But you get what you pay fir

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gotta look around. I got my doors for $350. A little banged up but nothing I can't straighten out.

OEM doors are better than plastic or fabric no matter how you look at it... Except price maybe... But you get what you pay fir
OEM half doors are fabric on the top, and they leaked on the first TJ I had. Bestop is the manufacturer of our factory soft tops. Factory half doors are better, I'm sure, I just didn't agree with your reasoning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What I do when it's 40* outside in the morning and gets up to 90* in the afternoon I go doorless with sweatpants and a hoody and blast the heat and that works then I change when I get to work it also helps to have the soft top up then during the day take it back down Cost 0$

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
They don't seem very waterproof...
What do u mean by waterproof? Are you fording rivers so u need them to keep water out that way? Or do u mean because they dont have an upper half?

Im just curious as to what you need them waterproof for. Are u planning on this being your only set of doors?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Love my half doors. Barely any water gets in during the rain if you put your top on correctly. Gives the feeling of an open tub but lets you keep a leg rest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts