Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 Wrangler X about a month ago. It's been great, drives great, etc. This morning I start her up and the check engine light comes on. It just hit 37K miles and it has had the oil changed and I checked it. Oil looks clean and is full. Any ideas of what it may be off the top of your heads? I drove to work which is only about 5 miles away and it drove fine. I'm going to take it by Advanced tonight and get them to scan the codes for me, but I just thought that maybe there was a scheduled maintenance or something that may have have caused it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You don't need to bring your jeep somewhere, you can check the codes yourself.

*Insert the key into your ignition. Rotate it to the "On" position without starting the engine.

*Push inward on the key, and quickly rotate the key from the "On" position to the "Acc" position three times, ending in the "On" position.

*If you've done it correctly, all of the lights will light up and six dashes (- - - - - -) will appear on your odometer briefly.

*Write down any numbers that appear after the dashes. If no codes are stored, it will just read "-done-"

Easy :punk::punk:

·
Registered
280 Posts
^^^ nice i have an OBDII reader, and i'm buying another wireless monitoring one for my android but that is some good info right thar

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
You don't need to bring your jeep somewhere, you can check the codes yourself.

*Insert the key into your ignition. Rotate it to the "On" position without starting the engine.

*Push inward on the key, and quickly rotate the key from the "On" position to the "Acc" position three times, ending in the "On" position.

*If you've done it correctly, all of the lights will light up and six dashes (- - - - - -) will appear on your odometer briefly.

*Write down any numbers that appear after the dashes. If no codes are stored, it will just read "-done-"

Easy :punk::punk:
Does this apply to the 08 Liberty as well?

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Thanks. My Liberty is an 08, I have a code reader, but I'll check it out w/o the reader.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
GOJEEP007 said:
I bought my 2008 Wrangler X about a month ago. It's been great, drives great, etc. This morning I start her up and the check engine light comes on. It just hit 37K miles and it has had the oil changed and I checked it. Oil looks clean and is full. Any ideas of what it may be off the top of your heads? I drove to work which is only about 5 miles away and it drove fine. I'm going to take it by Advanced tonight and get them to scan the codes for me, but I just thought that maybe there was a scheduled maintenance or something that may have have caused it.
A check engine light has nothing to do with your oil or any scheduled maintenance. It means that there is an issue with your emissions system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts