Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 99 se 4 banger manual transmission

This week i started noticing shaking as i began to start going. It felt like what it did after i lifted the jeep with the driveline vibrations. i didnt think much of it.

Tonight when i was driving to the movies, the exhaust was making a popping sound that wasnt normal. At an idle, the jeep would shake more than normal, and it seemed like it was running bad. The rpms seemed low at idle and it would frequently jump about 100 to 200 rpms up and down.

Coming out of the movies, i started the jeep up and was headed home, right as i got out of the parking lot, the check engine light popped up so i pulled over, checked the oil (was fine).

By the way, i think my catalyic converter is going bad because its making a rattling sound but i dont know if that has anything to do with this.

Im totally lost right now and extremely frustrated. Does anyone know anything i can do or any advice?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like you should get new cat. This happened to me. I seen black smoke coming out of the tailpipe too. fixed the cat . And she's back to normal. to

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can go to auto zone to check the engine code for free. They give you a scanner to test the code. Then they can pull up exactly what you need to fix it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice. It must not of been blowing black smoke then. But if you herd the cat making noise it won't be long till l it needs changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts