Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Update: Got a message back from the guy saying it's an 02 sensor and is being fixed tomorrow.

Looking to pick up a (relatively) inexpensive Wrangler after not having one for roughly 20 years. I'm really trying very hard to keep myself between $6-8k which I know will be tough. That said, I ran across this local listing and it piqued my interest.

However, two things stood out to me 1) Check engine light is on and 2) the large tires causing a "small shake" between 40 & 50mph.

Since it's been so many years since my last Jeep (CJ7), I'm ignorant as to whether these two items should scare me away from this listing. Or, maybe there's something I'm not seeing even beyond those things that would scare you seasoned Jeep veterans off.

Is it even a decent deal? I'd really like to get it down closer to $7-7500 if possible but highly doubt he'd go that low.

Your advice is appreciated.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/6117407383.html

- Chappy

(P.S. I cross-posted this over at JeepForum too.)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The shake is coming from those crappy swampers, that's a easy fix.
Check engine light shouldn't be a big deal.
I'd be more worried about unknown rust.

·
Registered
204 Posts
many have the engine lites for o2 sensors on. i had to replace all 4 of mine after i bought my jeep.

vibration can be tires or u-joints crawl under it and wiggle the drive line.

look for rust while your under it and check for dif seals etc too.

most of this stuff is cheap to fix rust however isnt

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If it were me I would keep looking, not because of the CEL just because there seems to be a few to many things that are questionable about this one.

Carry a scan tool with you or take a test drive by an autozone and see what codes it's throwing.

Yes, the body lift is a bit much and should be removed or reduced,

The swampers could be out of balance, they shouldn't wobble at any speed unless they are bias ply and cold, then it should feel more like a flat spot at any speed.

Petty thing here but it goes to sellers knowledge...a V6 and positive track???

Ask yourself, since this one's asking price is beyond your budget will you have the funds or willing to dump a few grand into fixing anything or all that you do find wrong with it.

Pay close attention to frame rust....don't walk away, run if there is.... Not worth nearly 9k.
You can pick up a rust free nice TJ for that money down south.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Look REAL hard for rust on the frame...... that was listed 2 months ago.... If it's decent it should have been long gone

The shake and cel aren't any concern at all except to maybe lower the price a little.

I just paid 7500 for a really clean one like it w 200,000 miles and I knew it had a bad exhaust valve and a questionable transmission....

I put a reman head and a used trans in it and couldn't be happier

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yup 6k for mine with 217 k. That body lift is way over the top.

2x rust in IN for sure....

Jeep on brother

Now it looks like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Paid $6000 for this with a rebuilt motor 3000 miles before I got it with receipts to prove it, 143,000 on the odometer. Came with a 4" lift, 33" tires, winch, light bar above the windshield and a soft top a year old. Rust free spent it's life in North Carolina and now South Carolina. Nothing really wrong with it except did a tune up, all the oil changes tranny, t-case, diffs. Of course things have changed it's a TJ and it couldn't stay stock for long.

IMG_1369.jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine is RHD with the HD D44 in the rear. Forgot to mention that.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts