Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my cat replaced, and about a week later the check engine light came on (it has never come on since ive owned it, 3 years). There are two cracks in the header. Could this light be on because of the exhaust?

1997, Sport. 31'' goodyear mt's w/ rubicon wheels.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
A cracked header wont cause the light to come on as I have 2 XJ's with cracked headers and no lights have come on.

It could be the cat.. if the wrong one was installed or installed improperly, it could cause issues. But to be safe, take it to an autozone and have them scan the codes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I went to autozone and they said the 'check engine' light is on because its getting a bad oxygen reading most likely due to the 2 cracks in my manifold. So I need to get that replaced

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he 'forgot' the code number when I asked him after we left the jeep. He did nothing but plug that device into my car below and to the left of my steering wheel, he didnt clear any code, just said it was getting a poor oxygen reading.

·
Registered
836 Posts
A cracked header wont cause the light to come on as I have 2 XJ's with cracked headers and no lights have come on.

It could be the cat.. if the wrong one was installed or installed improperly, it could cause issues. But to be safe, take it to an autozone and have them scan the codes.

I believe it can cause the light to come on.. had it on other cars I have seen at the shop. it will throw off the sensor on the primary. it the crack is next to it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
get the code number. i dont see how a cracked exhaust manifold can "let oxygen in its exhaust not intake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts