Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my check engine light came on a few days ago in my 2011 sport. I didn't notice any change in how it was driving at the moment. When I got home I used the key on/off trick to get it to display the code but I accidentally turned the key one too many times. Now when I do it all i get is the "--done--"

Does anyone know a way to see the code again??

Thanks,

Z

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Try going to an auto parts store that reads codes for free, or if you have a code reader hook it up and see if you have any codes stored.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
California banned parts stores from doing it for free.

Buy the Torque Pro app ($5) and an ELM327 device (like $25 on Amazon). If you have an IOS device get the wifi version; if you have Android either wifi or bluetooth will be fine. This will let you read the codes on your phone or tablet, and monitor a ton of information on how things are working, and it's much cheaper than a decent standalone code scanner.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
California banned parts stores from doing it for free.

Buy the Torque Pro app ($5) and an ELM327 device (like $25 on Amazon). If you have an IOS device get the wifi version; if you have Android either wifi or bluetooth will be fine. This will let you read the codes on your phone or tablet, and monitor a ton of information on how things are working, and it's much cheaper than a decent standalone code scanner.
This. For a $25 total investment I have troubleshot a 2011 jk and a 2007 BMW 7 series. Its a great app.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What I've read on other forums is that dealerships threw a fit and got lawmakers to consider it repairwork.
The problem is they are not just reading the codes, but giving a list of possible "fixes" that constitutes repair advice. If they just give the customer the posted code and left it at that, then they would have been fine.

I know it is stupid but California regulates vehicle repair facilities pretty heavily.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
So who gives a crap if they give them repair advice or not, it's their vehicle. It's not as if mechanics take a hippocratic oath, they are not operating on people, they are working on cars, THEY'RE OWN.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So who gives a crap if they give them repair advice or not, it's their vehicle. It's not as if mechanics take a hippocratic oath, they are not operating on people, they are working on cars, THEY'RE OWN.
I hear ya, but it is California. They regulate everything. If you ever happen to be inside a dealership or any repair facility in California, they have large visible signs up telling consumers where to contract the state agency that regulates such things.

Another thing about California is that they regulate heavily the repair of emissions components and in some instances, it is required by law that only OEM parts are used for repair. With many OBDII codes thrown for emissions related items, they may not have wanted Joe Snuffy at the local Vato Zone giving untrained repair advice on emission related items.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Fine, lease it out for .10 cents then. :bop: There are always creative ways around stupid laws.
I never said " What I've read on other forums is that dealerships threw a fit and got lawmakers to consider it repairwork."
Somehow someone attributed that quote to me.

But Yes, clever ways to deal with stupid people writing the laws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts