Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a check engine light that comes on in my jeep whenever i leave it idle for about 5-10 minutes. It goes away when I turn it off and on again. Is this just an emissions problem or something? It never comes on during normal driving except for if I really rev up the engine going through mud or something.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
It could be anything. You need to cable up to it and check for active and pending codes.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Theres no OBD port... it's a YJ..
You haven’t given a lot of details, I am assuming you have an injected YJ? If so, there IS an OBD port. It is underneath the power brake booster.

If so, like I said, you need to cable up to it and pull some codes. If you are unfamiliar with OBD I, do some research on “OBD I Chrysler adapter”. They look like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Will the key trick work?

Good luck, L.M.
Yes, the key trick usually does the trick (no pun intended Mac).

Corlauv, if you do not have the resources to pull the codes, you can start with the key in the on position, then off, on, off, on. Be prepared to start counting flashes from the CEL. Don’t blink.

Make a note of what you see. You can research for the details of the number of flashes as it relates to the codes. It is archaic, but it works.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'll try the key trick and if that doesnt work then I'll use the OBD port in the engine bay, did not know they had them there👍.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts