Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently fighting with a check engine light on my 2003 Wrangler 6-cyl: Code P0432. I had all the sensors changed with no luck, which brings me to a Catalytic Converter problem.

The question I have is will a Catalytic Convert issue cause me to have gas mileage problems? I have only had the Jeep for 2 months, and was fully aware of poor gas mileage... but I am getting about 210-220 miles per tank of gas... I think it has a 17 gallon tank so 12.5 miles/gallon. Is that about normal?

·
Registered
95 Posts
are you running stock?
i've got a 99 sahara w/65,500 miles.
right now i'm running pretty much stock everything w/31's and i'm approx 225 - 250 miles to a full tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, everything is stock. It has slightly oversized tires on it, but otherwise everything is stock.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Well that code does look like it's a main cat problem. Have you been hearing any rattling or noticing any odd smells from your rig? And yes a non functioning cat will cause your mileage to decrease because the engine is not operating at optimum performance due to the downstream 02 sensor (I believe that's the correct one) not getting a proper reading so it adjusts engine performance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the tires have been replaced with larger tires, you may want to make sure that you have the correct speedo gear. And you may also want to check actual mpg, not just per tank miles. Just my .02

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had to remove my cat as a quick fix and chop off and re-route some pipe. none of my check engine lights came on and it even seemed to boost my gas mileage a little. My jeep is a little louder but has more throttle response. i can only ever get 12 gallons in my tank and i get about 240 mile to those 12!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts