Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had a very intermittent problem last few weeks. Went out a couple weeks ago and Jeep would not start, completely dead. I checked cables and it started but then died immediately. Turned key again and gave gas and it started but for about 5 mins I had to continually gives gas or it would die. After few mins of driving that issue went away but check gauge light came on. All my gauges are reading normal. Next week or two it drove completely normal.
After that had issue again, exactly same as above. This time I was only mile or two from home, so I made it there. Removed battery cable from battery and then put back on, no issues.
Now a week later problem happening again. Check gauge light on entire drive to work, dies when I come to a stop unless I give gas entire time. When I pulled into parking lot at work it idles a lil rough, more like struggling to stay in idle. RPM drops down to like 500 or lower, vehicle almost cutting off and on (ex, radio and lights go on and off) but it does not shut all the way off.
I had to go into work so I have not messed with. But there is a chance after work it will drive normal for another week or two, but also chance I have this same issue.
Any suggestions? That fact so intermittent is weird to me. And even while having this problem it generally turns right over but immediately dies if not getting gas.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After work, assume I can make it home, I am going to stop by AutoZone and have them use a code reader.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the battery to Interstate couple weeks ago. They tested under load and said it was good.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the check gauges light, not check engine. But I'm going to check codes after work. Will post what I find.

They looked good when I eyed them. Any suggestions on what to use to clean them?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I use battery terminal cleaner that I got from advance. I'm sure any auto parts store has it, it turns purple when it hits acid, bubbles when it's eating corrosion. Standard stuff. Some people use Coke cola or baking soda, etc. Whatever you use, use a brush and rinse it off. If the problem is at idle, I'd start with cleaning your TB/IAC with throttle body cleaner. Hopefully a code will point you in the right direction, could be a few things and you don't want to just throw money at parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My jeep just started doing the exact same thing...I jumped it off today and got it to start but it wouldn't stay charged long. Also my check engine light came on. Im still under warranty so I just called and had the thing towed to the dealership. I will let you know what they tell me is wrong. If you already found out I would be interested to see what the issue was. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dealer said my battery was shorted out. It had 2 bad cells in it causing it not to pass a load test. They replaced it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts