Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ARB 50qt fridge that I run in my Jeep 24/7. I have the Genesis dual battery setup to help with that too. Anyways, when I take my top and doors off, I remove the fridge because I'm always worried about some asshat stealing it. I've cable locked it to the back seat before but I'm still paranoid about somebody coming by and breaking it or even just stealing my booze and string cheese out of the fridge. I'd been looking for some sort of solution where I could still easily access the fridge but it would be secure with my top and doors off too. I also wanted a better storage solution for all of my recovery gear which I'd also remove when the top and doors are off out of fear of it being stolen. I just couldn't find a good solution on the open market. The Tuffy security deck would work but the fridge is too tall.

So, I decided I'd just have to make it myself. I built this thing out of MDF board. It took two 4x8 sheets which were about $24 each. I welded together the fridge tray out of some angle iron and some flat pieces that go under the feet for the fridge. I bought the heavy duty drawer slides on Amazon for the fridge. I bought the rest of the drawer slides at Lowe's. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the drawer slides for the fridge at Lowe's too since they appear to be the exact same thing and were about 1/3 the cost of Amazon. You have to be very precise in your measurements with these types of slides. I'd say within 1/8 of an inch. I covered the whole thing with some carpet/fabric that I bought on Amazon. The same stuff you'd cover a subwoofer box in. I used 3M 77 spray glue to make it stick to the wood. That worked great! The entire thing bolts to the floor in the back using the stock tie down locations. I removed those bolts and replaced them with some I found at Ace Hardware that are longer. The bolt size on those is M6x1.0 by the way. The 70MM length was perfect with the 3/4" MDF board. I also had to be very precise with my measurements and drilling in the wood to get the holes in the right spot so the box would sit where I want and I could get all four bolts in.

Anyways, I still have some work to do on it. I'm going to add some tie downs to the top so I can strap down luggage or camping gear. I'm also going to add some 1/2" thick foam insulation inside around the fridge and remove that ARB fridge cover which I find to be very annoying. The fridge is great though and is probably my favorite and most used Jeep mod. Since the whole thing is bolted down, it can't be lifted up. When the top and doors are off, I simply lock the Jeep which locks the tailgate and the drawers can't be pulled out. You'd have to really be determined to get anything out of this box without opening the tailgate. The entire box is glued and screwed together with screws every 2". It's tough. It's heavy but I can pick it up by myself. I have handles on the sides and vents in the sides and back for the fridge. My Jeep is a 2015 JKUR with the subwoofer in the floor. It doesn't sound one bit different even with all of this stuff sitting on top of it. I did remove the stock jack from the factory location and just keep it in the drawer now. It would be a nightmare to have to get the jack out with this thing on top of it. I'm going to add a thing in one of the drawers where I can store my door and hard top bolts too since the factory location is no longer accessible.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
...what no hot tub? :p

awesome!

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Have been thinking of doing something similar. Very nice that you included some bolt specs.

One thing I have found helpful, which I see in one of the photos, is a soft toolbag. Have ended up moving all my to-go tools to soft bags. Like that they can squish a bit to fit into spaces. Let's agree that a roll away is great, but best left at home.

Here are a few that I've bought;
https://goclc.com/products/Work-Gear-Softside-Tool-Carriers-Bags-Backpacks/1165
https://goclc.com/products/Work-Gear-Softside-Tool-Carriers-Bags-Backpacks/1107
https://goclc.com/products/Work-Gear-Softside-Tool-Carriers-Bags-Backpacks/1173
Tool Bag - Fire Hose Leather Tool Bag Combo - Duluth Trading

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
To add to my previous post, I highly recommend in not getting large bags. The tendency is to fill whatever space is available. A large bag can get very heavy and over cluttered. In my experience it is better to have multiple small bags that are specific to certain tasks.

For example, I have an electric bag, with a few wrenches in it. A couple of mechanical bags, and the wrench wrap tote. Then a few other bags with spare parts.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The greed bags are just tool bags I found on Amazon. The black one is something from Lowe's. I keep recovery gear in the black one. Folding shovel, snatch block, tree strap, etc. I keep my wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers and things in one of the green ones. In the other one I keep all of my tire stuff. Tire deflators, a couple of gauges, and my hose that hooks up to my ARB dual compressor under the hood. I also have a tire patch kit in a hard case and a small sent of Kobalt sockets in a hard case in there as well. Now that I have this thing, I keep pretty much everything I need to include oil in the bottom drawer. I have the factory jack in there too as well as a hi-lift jack base. I don't carry a hi-lift any more but the jack base is perfect for the factory jack I've found. My plan right now, is to use the top drawer for food and utensils and things for when I'm out camping. It will be nice to not have my bread crushed! Here's the green tool bags from Amazon. They've held up really well. https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-61390...&qid=1500875453&sr=8-8&keywords=tool+bag&th=1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts