Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new the the JK world, I had a TJ for many years and just sold it and bought a JK to accommodate my growing family of now 5. I just purchased a 2013 JK with the 3.6 auto transmission. I just rotated the tires (did a 5 tire rotation). The gauge screen is telling me to "Check TPM System" and the TPMS light flashes for a minute and then goes solid every time I start the Jeep. At first I thought it just needed to reset itself and just drive a while. This afternoon, I added air to each of my 4 tires (I did not add air to the spare). As I added air to each tire I could see that the PSI on the gauge went up and they corresponded to the correct location of the tire. That rules out a bad TPMS sensor and that it just needs more time to locate in their correct position on the Jeep.

So this tells me the system is reading the correct tires in the correct locations and that it recognizes the spare was moved to used position and that the tire I rotated to the spare is not coming up on the screen. If the system is reading all of the correct tires in their locations and PSI's correctly why am I still having the "Check TPM System" message and having my light blinking and then going solid? It never did this before I rotated the tires.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,173 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2016 which was very annoying because I knew the pressures were correct. Gave up screwing around with and went to buddies shop. He does a lot of repairs and also sells tires. He took his hand held tire reset tool and did all the tires. Drove a couple miles and bingo everything was fine and has stayed that way for over a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I did notice is I pumped the tires up last night to 42-43 psi and this morning that 3 of them were at 32 and one was at 26. I have beadlocks on the rims and I then noticed that I could hear air leaking from them. They do not leak air when I have them at their normal psi of 26-28. They will hold that psi for weeks on end. Maybe I need to check their torque. I think this is a separate issue since I have never had an issue with the TPMS prior to me rotating them today. I'm just throwing all info that I have out there to see if anything sticks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,092 Posts
Pump them back up and spray a soap and water mixture on the beadlock area. If it is leaking from there pull the tires off. Remove and reinstall the lock rings. It could be that there is a little bit of casting flash or something lodged between the lock ring and wheel that is preventing them from dealing properly.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
Look at the door sticker and check the recommended tire pressure. Then subtract 4 from that number and that will probably be the TPMS trigger pressure. On my 2015 Sahara IIRC the sticker TP was 34 and my trigger was 30 so I usually ran 31. On my '17 Chief, it came with the BFG KMs on the Hard Rock wheels (silver instead of gray) and the TP on the sticker is 37. I could not run TP less than 33 without triggering an alert (flashing TP on one tire or another). When I went with new BFG KO2 in 285/70R17 I used Jscan to lower the trigger pressure to 25. I figure if I have a tire get that low, I really do have a leak. I normally run TP at 30 to 31 with no alerts from the TPMS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found the locking ring was leaking. I took it off and then reset it and retorqued it and it is not leaking. I pumped all tires up to around 40psi including the spare and I am still getting the warning of “check TPM System”. I’m lost.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Inflate them to the pressure listed on the stock on the door. Then drive around for a few mins and it should go away. Also, check that the spare is at the right pressure. If you over inflate the tires it may make the TPMS give you an alarm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have set all 5 tires to 35 (the psi listed in the on the door jam) and have been driving sround this afternoon. Still not resetting. I went to americas tire and they were able to reset it but it came back on 2 miles later. They checked and all 5 had good batteries and were reading. It is so weird because all of them are reading correctly now and in the reading in the correct location. Everything is working exactly as it should except I still have the warning message and the light blinks when I turn it on and then stays in. I am baffled.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
If the wheel sensors are checking out good, it’s very likely the TPM module. I believe there are two on JKs.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
You have sensors in the tires that transmit to sensors at three of the wheels. (It's how the system keeps track of the individual tire positions). You may have one of the wheel sensors that have failed. This sensor is different than the wheel speed sensor. I believe the wheel TPMS sensors are on the frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am also wondering if it is one of the modules, but why then are all the tires reading and adjusting pressures on all four tires correctly? I would think if one of the modules went bad, then one of the tire pressure sensors would also not be showing accurate readings. For a while yesterday, the front two tires were switched. That makes me think that one of the sensor could possibly be bad up front. Does anyone know where hey they are actually located?

also I have a Superchips Flashcal that came with the JK. I plugged it in to see if everything was setup correct. The previous owner had already adjusted the tire size, gear ratio, and the tire pressure limit (which is set to 21). I checked the DTC no codes for the TPMS came up.The only codes were for lost communication with the radio (because it has an aftermarket one) and that my rear light bulb went out because it went out this morning. I replaced the bulb and cleared all the codes. It did turn off the light but it came back on a few miles later. I checked the codes again and there were none other than the radio one. I’m at a complete loss. I hate going to the dealership, I rarely ever bring a car to a shop and always fix it myself, but I am at a loss. My last thing to check is one of the front module sensors a bit I have no idea where they are located and I can’t find an image online that shows where they are.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have any idea where the modules are located? I have looked all over online and cannot find any info or images of the JK. I can only find info on the rear one which is on the rear crossmember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts