Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is probably all on me. I bought a 2015 JKUR back in June, 2015. The dealer had 2 identical Sunburst Orange JKUR's with the same options, price, everything. We drove one, made a deal, and as we were finishing the negotiations, we noticed that the passenger window had issues raising and lowering. No problem, we'll just buy the other one.

Fast forward to this morning. My wife, who never drives the Wrangler, wants to have coffee with some friends and decides to take the Jeep. Her key fob doesn't unlock the doors, and the key won't turn in the lock. WTF? I compared it to the one I carry and it is cut different!

So I called the dealership and talk to the sales manager. Huge dealership in Tulsa, OK, Chris Nikel CJD. The manager says, "no problem" we'll get you a new key and figure out how to get it programmed for you (I am over 100 miles away). Sends me a text in less than 5 minutes with a picture of the paperwork he submitted and assurance that they will make it right!

Bottom line, check your keys before you drive away. They all look alike! I am glad I didn't lose or break the one I have that works!

'Puckfan

·
Registered
84 Posts
It is probably for the other jeep...they got them mixed up...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ahh, you just got caught by the wife. I haven't thought of that excuse to keep her from taking it. My wife says I take the doors off on purpose to keep her from driving it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, you just got caught by the wife. I haven't thought of that excuse to keep her from taking it. My wife says I take the doors off on purpose to keep her from driving it.
That's some funny stuff right there! My wife wanted a Jeep when she was in high school. I had an FJ40 when we met, I still wonder if it was me or the 'Cruiser :jawdrop:

We have two Jeeps in the family so she always has one available. She just never drives mine, because she prefers our LJ (it's a stick!)

'Puckfan

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Had similar issues on my previous Silverado. I had a non working remote and starting in 2011 they were dealer only for programming.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You're lucky.. that dealer is a pita to deal with at times.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
The key fob on my 2015 JKUR is the same as the one on my 2006 Ram 2500 (which I sold to a friend two years ago). Now before I sold it to him, he had my spare key to the truck. When we went though the sales process, he had already been driving it to two weeks and I had forgotten my key to it. I mentioned I would drop it by, and he told me to keep it for if he needed the spare he knew he could call me and I would bring it to him.

Fast forward two years to two weeks ago and I was up in far northeast Georgia on a Scout weekend and had another adult riding with me. While packing, I went into the kitchen, opened the cabinet and grabbed the spare key off the key board and put it in my bag. When we got up there and were unloading, I handed the spare key to my friend in case he needed to get something out of the Jeep. (It was close and we did not pull out everything).

At lunch on Saturday, he mentioned to me that he went down to the Jeep to get something and his remote did not work. I got a funny feeling and asked if he had it with him. He handed it to me, I turned it over and started laughing. I then told him it was the spare to my 2006 Dodge pu and he replied can't you tell them apart? I pulled the Jeep key out and laid it on the table face up next to the truck key and asked, "Which one is which?" He turned them over and of course one says JEEP and the other says nothing because the word DODGE is worn off.

Not only do the keys on the Jeep Wrangler look like every other Wrangler, they also look like the key for every other Chrysler vehicle from about 10 years ago. The change in the Wrangler key came in 2007 with the new systems and the next change will be with the JL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts