Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little friendly PSA. Last night, myself and 3 other jeepers were meeting up to discuss an upcoming trip. One of them got a flat and called us because she had never changed a tire before. We went and found her on the side of the highway only to discover that her aftermarket wheels and lugs were not compatible with the lug wrench that comes with the Jeep. Long story short, we used duct tape and a stick to limp it 15 miles down the highway to the nearest exit where we could get a 3/4" deep wall socket.

So if you haven't already, go check your lug wrench to make sure it fits your lugs and wheels! The side of a turnpike with a 75 MPH speed limit and lots of semi traffic is NOT the place to find out you don't have the right one...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That is some good advice!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice!!

I keep one the folding multi size lug wrenches in the back. You never know who's going to need help.
I do too. Actually I carry a full socket set with me in the Jeep at all times, I just didn't have a deep wall 3/4", which is what we needed.

I broke a lug socket last time I rotated my tires. That was when I learned that mine took some special size as nothing in our tool box would fit it. I pressed it back together with a vice so I could at least get them tight enough to get to 4WP to buy another one. I now carry TWO sockets that fit, both in different areas of the Jeep. I wouldn't want to break another one on the trail without a vice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do too. Actually I carry a full socket set with me in the Jeep at all times, I just didn't have a deep wall 3/4", which is what we needed. I broke a lug socket last time I rotated my tires. That was when I learned that mine took some special size as nothing in our tool box would fit it. I pressed it back together with a vice so I could at least get them tight enough to get to 4WP to buy another one. I now carry TWO sockets that fit, both in different areas of the Jeep. I wouldn't want to break another one on the trail without a vice.
That is an awesome photo!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is an awesome photo!
Haha, thanks! There was a big storm off to the south of us and the light was hitting the thunderhead just right. At least we didn't get rained on!

The best part about the whole situation is we were meeting to plan for the Overland Challenge Series; a 250+ mile, 3 day trail competition with 20 check points. Team that gets to all of the check points in the fewest miles wins. We figured out we need to carry a 3/4" deep wall socket and that we can work together and have fun even in crappy situations. We ended up making our game plan on the side of the highway. It was a success!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I've got a Gorilla wrench in my tool bag. Honestly, I didn't even thing about the stock vs aftermarket lugs. Just a good thing to have.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have locking lugs on my wheels, so I needed the wrench head that came with the lugs to install my new wheels. I know for sure that I am set should I need to ever use it, the head fits over the existing lug wrench.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Any Local" auto places like Advanced Auto sell the Gorilla one? Or do you need to get on line? Looks pretty nice and compact.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a cheapo 4 way lug wrench that I keep under the front passenger seat. I marked the side of it I use so I can use it quickly.

Side note: I also have the gorilla lug nut locks and they are great.

·
Registered
429 Posts
first thing I did when I got new tires was a 1/2 socket wrench and needed coskets for changing a tires in the rear storage compartment.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Very good advice. I had to buy an aftermarket tire iron to use with my wheels too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts