Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my throwout bearing went out on Wednesday, took it to the mechanic and left it there overnight so that they could get to it on Thursday and they were busy so they had to get to it on Friday. Well this morning (Saturday) I woke up to a text from the mechanic that said there was a hole punched in the fuel tank and it's leaking hella bad. The pic-a-part doesn't have Wranglers (and if they do they only last for a few hours) so I'm wondering if I could put a replacement tank from a Cherokee in the wrangler? Not sure if it will fit or bolt in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that would be more of a trail fix than a permanent kinda thing. Will that be safe for a long-ish period of time? Like 6 months?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
I figured that would be more of a trail fix than a permanent kinda thing. Will that be safe for a long-ish period of time? Like 6 months?
I'd think so, though that would depend on the size of the hole. It should at least work long enough to get a replacement TJ tank. And not all TJ tanks are interchangeable, they vary by model year due to different smog system configurations.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Daveys Jeeps usually has tanks available.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Didn't you notice a hole in the tank before you dropped it off at the mechanics place? Seems odd that there's a hole you didn't know about.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
At local you pull it every gas tank has a hole punched for draining gas before car or truck is set in yard

Also about 1/2 the oil pans
Other half they drain normally

Think they also punch auto tranny pan

So far they are leaving Diffy alone

Got a like new tank for a 280zxt but had to clean then epoxy the punched hole (it was a metal tank). Sawall is quick way to remove tank straps

Newest change is banning sale of airbags don't know if that means no seats with airbags

1 - 9 of 9 Posts