Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow JK'ers,
I have a 2010 JK 4dr Sahara auto.
Current mods include: AEV 3½" lift; 4.88 gears and lockers; AEV hood, bumpers, wheels; 35"s; intake & exhaust.

Darn thing started to consume oil at 39k miles. I guess 1qt/1000mi. I have considered fixing, but feel that it's wasting money on an already poor engine. The progression of my thoughts has lead me to choose between the following Engine swaps.

1. AEV in Michigan. For approx $21k have turn key install with 5.7 HEMI & 545RFE 5 speed transmission.
a. Pro – 3 year/36000mi. warrantee on part & labor. they will pay to have fixed locally.
b. Pro - Its a HEMI! but if it matters, more 'correct' swap for the Jeep brand.
c. Pro - expected specs: 360 hp Torque = 390 ft/lb.
d. Pro - new radiator, new exhaust and cats with kit.
e. Pro - they are professional, has thousands of swaps completed.

f. Con - Transmission is only 5 speed, not best opinions out there for this transmission. not optimal for my 4.88's.
g. Con - Expect no improvement with MPG.
h. Con - AEV install supposedly has engine sitting further forward in Jeep, not as 'balanced'

? - not sure, but is the Hemi still a cast iron block? is that good or bad?
? - not sure, AEV disables the 4-cylinder mode of the vvt
2. MOTECH LS swap kits. For approximately $19-20k gets New Chevy 5.3 LS vvt engine with 6180 6 speed transmission. I can have turn key service from corporate in Vegas, Affiliate in AL. or my local shop install with full Kit. Engine has 3/36 warantee. All shops will give me 1 year on labor.
a. Pro – Expected specs: 315 hp 320 ft/lb. torque.
b. Pro - Newer engine design, aluminum block.
c. Pro - smaller than Hemi, supposedly fits in JK easier, keeps weight further behind the front axle.
d. Pro - The Motech setup, gives you 'tap shift' a manual control for transmission. good options for towing and/or trails.
e. Pro - from consumer comments, expects to improve MPG
f. Pro - Apparently great feedback from this transmission in all models it's in.

g. Con - New kit, not that many around
h. Con - Chevy engine in a Chrysler...?
i. Con - Kit does NOT include new radiator, or exhaust only new cats.
j. Con - less HP/Torques than Hemi. (but i'm not racing it, and anything is better than 3.8!)

? - not sure, Motech keeps the 4 cylinder mode in their software.
I'm expecting to keep the Jeep for a long time after i do this. I had my Jeep pretty close to the way i wanted it when the 3.8 began to consume oil @ 39k miles. Jeep is a 2nd vehicle, I wheel 6-8x a year, use for some towing, plan to use on long distance vacations with family; expect to put 12k miles on a year.

I'm really stuck with my decision, i'm hoping the community can help guide me along in the choice. Plan to get this started next month.

Cheers and Ride lots!

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
It would be cheaper to go Chevy. Not too insulting to see a Chevy in a Chrysler. Lots of older mopars with ls swaps. If for some reason you did want more power the ls is easily upgradable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my 2010 JKU I did the 5.7vvt swap with the AEV kit. I have over 20k on It and could not be happier. I pull an offroad trailer and never lust for more power. I've yet to have the pedal more than 3/4 pegged as it is has more high end power than I need. Everything works as stock including remote start, cruise control, stock warning lights, etc. Furthermore, my local Jeep dealer services it with off the shelf parts. I have yet to hear of a LS swap where all this is true. Maybe I'm biased, but I would recommend a tried and true, common manufacturer swap over anything chimeric or experimental.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Damn. Not to bad of a choice to have to make. :punk:

What's the deal on the electronics and the like working on the LS swap? Cruise control? All the dash functions--mpgs readout, etc.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my 2010 JKU I did the 5.7vvt swap with the AEV kit. I have over 20k on It and could not be happier. I pull an offroad trailer and never lust for more power. I've yet to have the pedal more than 3/4 pegged as it is has more high end power than I need. Everything works as stock including remote start, cruise control, stock warning lights, etc. Furthermore, my local Jeep dealer services it with off the shelf parts. I have yet to hear of a LS swap where all this is true. Maybe I'm biased, but I would recommend a tried and true, common manufacturer swap over anything chimeric or experimental.
no doubt, hemi has the power.
I never thought about the dealer servicing, good point!
could you give your MPG with the Hemi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if it were me, I'd go the AEV route. They make top shelf stuff and their install is pretty amazing. Like Willywaxer said, you also get to keep all the stock lights and accessories working as normal + your local jeep dealer can do service work when needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From my time behind LS engines in trucks and Tahoes that would be my choice. The numbers look less on paper than a hemi but they make their torque sooner at a lower rpm and really pull strong. They are also bulletproof with mine each passing 200k with no problems. I love Jeeps but at the end of the day a hemi is still just another DC product like the oil burner you need to change.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You drive a mopar, keep it mopar.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Well, this is a fun game! :thumb: I personally would stick to mopar and go the hemi route. Did you see the thread about Jeep releasing an engine swap kit and super chargers for dealer installation?

·
Registered
214 Posts
no doubt, hemi has the power.
I never thought about the dealer servicing, good point!
could you give your MPG with the Hemi.
Well, I get about 14MPG. I got like 15 with the 6 cyl power plant so no big change. I have a Gobi rack that costs me a couple MPG I'm sure. I'm also running a bit heavy with the tires and accessories I've chosen. Biggest factor though, is that I'm very hard on the pedal. I love the feeling of being pushed back into my seat as I pass a granny or smoke some ricer from a stop light. Childish, I know, but sure feels good. I've run the beast over 100 MPH pushing only 2600 RPM, and still had room for more (but too scary with a lift and chunky 35's). I had it done by a pro shop so it cost a lot, but after two years, no regrets whatsoever. Like all mods though, it is a disease.....I've been eyeing the new 6.4 swaps!

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
I think there is a reason why so many people swap to chevy gas engines. Before I bought my Jeep I was very seriously considering swapping a 6.0 gasser for my Duramax. I'm gonna miss that pickup until I die.

Chevy+Diesel=crap

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Back when the Chevy small block could actually be modded and repaired in the driveway, I would have said go with the GM motor.

Now, with all the emissions, computers, and similar gear that requires specialized software to diagnose and repair, I vote for the Chrysler motor. Besides, with all the Charger police cars out there, it will be easy and inexpensive to get used Hemi parts that can be rebuilt.

Being able to have a Chrysler dealer work on it is great when travelling and something goes wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts