Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 2 dr jk sport. 3.5 in lift 35 in tires. 3.21 gears, 144k KM. I was hearing popping when taking off from a stop the odd time, so I thought it was time for a differential check. Found some chewed gears. I'm debating on finally getting it re-geared to 4.56, or trading it in on a JL 4 door. I got a quote for $3000 Canadian for new gears, axle seals and u joints. Are the 2019 JLs as plagued by the steering issues and electrical issues like the 2018s?
Thanks
Justin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Those are "spider gears", and do not even turn when going perfectly straight. Those only turn as the jeep turns, in the most basic way to explain it.

Typically this wear/damage is caused from to many donuts or one tire being on concrete and one on dirt, excessively.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Yep. You can just replace the spider gears. Not expensive and not difficult.

But with 35" tires I would regear from 3.21s to either 4.56 or 4.88 depending on elevation and how you drive off road.

I can't answer the question about JLs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since you are already considering getting a JL, I would just replace the spider gears which cost about $165 Cdn + installation. Seems your putting about 35k km yearly so wont be long till you hit 200k in that time any issues in the JL should be sorted out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I've decided to regear to 4.88. Going in next week. I've been wanting to regear it for a while.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got my 4.88s installed. Its shifting alot better, maybe a little more pep but I'm feeling a pulsing vibration now at around 45mph. Has anyone else had this happen after a regear? Driveshaft hopefully and not the gears??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
So I got my 4.88s installed. Its shifting alot better, maybe a little more pep but I'm feeling a pulsing vibration now at around 45mph. Has anyone else had this happen after a regear? Driveshaft hopefully and not the gears??

When I had a vibration like that at a specific speed it ended up being the tires out of balance. Road forced balanced them now everything is smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop did just rebalance my tires. They usually do a great job. this time the guy who does it said they were a pain to balance and that he had to do a static balancing. One took upwards of 18oz of weights. The tires are almost 3 years old with about 60k km. This vibration feels different than an unbalanced tire though. If pulses, feels more like a driveline vibration.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
That could very well be the front driveshaft. At 144k with a 3.5” lift that is common. Remove the front driveshaft for a couple days and see if that does it. The driveshafts now turn at a higher rpm then they did with stock gears.

BTW. JLs are not problem free and also require gear swaps when going to bigger tires.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Go with the new yokes. It gives you a bit longer driveshaft hence reduces the angle a bit.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The front driveshaft has the yoke you need according to the picture. It's plenty long and the front flange with the bolt-on u-bolt yoke.

Looks like the rear comes with the yokes you need according to the picture. And that little bit of extra length in the rear will do you good.

You'll want to get some adjustable control arms for the rear to get your pinion pointed in the right direction. You want about 0.5 degrees between the pinion and the driveshaft at the axle. The CV joint at the t-case does all the heavy lifting as far as the angle goes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. My vibration is still there after I removed the front driveshaft. Could it be the rear or am I chasing a bad gear install.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The switch to 4.88 gears will exacerbate any minimal driveline issues. Everything is spinning so much quicker any minor balance or alignment issues in the driveline will become very obvious. This happened with my TJ, turned out to be rear pinion yoke had a bend. Apples to oranges, but just pointing it out. Sounds like you narrowed it down to rear at least. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I'll try that with the rear. I am just going to order a new driveshaft that's the proper length. I also ordered some Rubicon express upper rear adjustable control arms to adjust my pinion angle. How are Yukon Driveshafts? I can have one here in 2 days from Amazon. Northridge 4 x 4 has the Adam's but they are out of stock and will take up to 2 weeks. Here is the Yukon shaft.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N3QLX7U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_t6PFDbVSN02B5
I appreciate all the help this forum is amazing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts